CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Sticky Steering (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/sticky-steering-96397/)

sofla1984 06-30-2009 03:23 PM

Sticky Steering

I recently purchased an 06 CBR600RR its got about 11K on it. I felt like the steering felt really tight almost stiff. so i had two of my friends ride it. One of them normally rides an 07 GSXR 750 and the other a Triumph Daytona 675.. both of them have been riding for years.

They both agreed it didnt feel right, at low speed like riding around my Apt complex the bars seem very stiff to turn. one of my buddies was taking a turn and said it felt like it was seriously hard to start the turn then whamm it just like fell into it. I am just wondering if it is a normal thing for Hondas to react this way over thier bikes or should i have a pro check it out?

Tony

jpanside@gmail.com 06-30-2009 03:43 PM

are u heavy? ^^

johnnyx 06-30-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com (Post 804056)
are u heavy? ^^

Jpan, you seriously need to start reading people's entire posts, not just their titles.

johnnyx 06-30-2009 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by sofla1984 (Post 804051)
I recently purchased an 06 CBR600RR

This means you need to adjust the suspension to fit your needs, first and foremost. The previous owner either had a drastic weight difference, or simply really liked stiffness on the turns (great for certain riding styles). Also, check your tire pressures and make sure they are appropriate for the type of situations you are riding in. Tire pressure is often vastly underestimated, and can lead to some very bad situations if not properly maintained.

justasquid 06-30-2009 05:32 PM

that is definately not normal. Your steering stiffness should not change, unless your bike has a steering damper that is not working correctly. Unless its the HESD, in which case those are speed sensitive, but they are gradual and not all of sudden adjustments. But I don't think it was until 07 the 600RR had em. But, in case Im wrong and your bike does have the HESD, get it checked out at a dealer.

Is it only stiff while your riding it?

Or is the steering like that all the time even if you just turn back and forth?

If you bike doesnt have a damper, I would look into the steering head bearings as being adjusted too tight or are worn out. If the previous owner liked to do wheelies, it may have hurt the bearings. Generally, wheelies don't hurt the bearings as long as you set the bike down easy, but if the person had slammed the front end on the ground from wheelies over and over, its possible for the bearings to be shot. thats about the only way the steering bearings will be bad with only 11,000 miles on it. Or if the bike was ever in crash. Or, its they are just out of adjustment. If your not sure how to adjust, it would be a good idea to get a service manual, or take it in to a dealer.

sofla1984 06-30-2009 11:18 PM

Thanks for the immediate response; I should have my service manual in tomorrow. One of my buddies mentioned the Steering Bearings also. So I am going to check that first, if it isn't a simple adjustment I may take the advice and see about tailoring down the suspension to see if that helps a bit. I'm only 5' 4" 140lbs the last guy was a bit bigger 6'ish and about 185lbs..

sofla1984 06-30-2009 11:22 PM

The steering is stiff even if you just rock it back and forth!

justasquid 07-01-2009 12:59 AM

It sounds like its the head bearings are adjusted too tight then. A suspension adjustment won't help your situation as far as the steering, but its still a good idea to get the suspension set for your weight like johnnyx suggested.

WhiteKnite 07-01-2009 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by sofla1984 (Post 804239)

The steering is stiff even if you just rock it back and forth!

Do you mean while you are moving? "Rock it back and forth" implies leaning. If you mean turn it side to side at a standstill that could feel stiff anyway. Have you checked the tire pressure? Have you leaned it on the sidestand (with the help of a friend) and turned it side to side without weight on it?

Most likely causes are very low front tire pressure, a flattened front tire profile, or very worn/ misadjusted or improperly installed head bearings. As was already mentioned though, those shouldnt have been messed with unless the bike was thrashed or trashed. There was no HESD on the 06 AFAIK but have you looked for an aftermarket steering dampner? If there is one, it may need to be removed/ replaced/ adjusted.

johnnyx 07-01-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid (Post 804265)
A suspension adjustment won't help your situation as far as the steering

It can have a very detrimental effect on cornering and twisties. He only said "turning," so that could mean any of the three.