General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator???

Just picked up a 95 CBR 600 today. It has a charging problem and I figured some of you guys would know better then anybody. I read through the " how to diagnose your charging system" thread, butit did'nt go past step 4. The battery wont hold a charge more then a few days. I can re-charge it and in the next day or two it will be dead again! Is that for surethe stator or possibly something else?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Default RE: Stator???

Get a new battery. I had the same thing happen to me. After you charge a battery mulitple times it wont hold its charge very long.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

id check into your Regulator/rectifier. its located on your right hand side under neath the tail side pannel. that can cause the symptoms you describe. if you were to jump the battery and once you took the cables off the bike dies i would say that would be your stator. just go down to a local recycle yard and pick up a used R/R and then charge your battery or better yet go buy a new one. and chances are your problem will be fixed.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

charge the battery and get it load tested, or just buy a new one and then do the electrical tests. The diagnostics relies on a good battery to test the output of the stator and proper operation of the regulator. If your battery isnt up to par, you will get conflicting results in your testing.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 AM

firstly, your battery is no good if it wont hold a charge more than a few days. once you've remedied this issue, THEN proceed with testing the charging system. chances are a bad battery is all it is so dont spend more money than you need to on parts you may not need.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 PM

Thanks for all the help. Ill just got tomorrow and get a new battery. If it does after that Ill look and other possibilities. Thanks again!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't wait for the system to kill the new one. If you truly have a faulty charging system, waiting for it to kill the new battery is not the way to go. Get the new battery and then test the system.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM

What do I have to do to check the other parts of the charging system?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:10 PM

start the bike....use a multi meter across the battery...if the system is charging you should be getting absolutely no less than 13.5 volts (with the brights ON)optimum is 14-14.5v.....should be at full voltage at 1400 RPM...if not...you have problems

Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 PM

This is what I did today; took the bike out and drove it around until it shut off (prolly is'nt the best idea). When it did die, I took the battery to Autozone to test it. It read 11.53 volts. My lights would still turn on but the bike would'nt even start to crank. They charged it up to 12.30 and then the bike cranked right up! So what does that sound like???

Quick Reply: Stator???