General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter or stator prob?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter or stator prob?

yesterday my f3 didn't want to start. so i got a new battery & nothing.
tryed putting nothing.
it will only start if i jump start it. but after it is running it runs great. i drove it a hour & a half home with no problems untill i turned it off. & then it just clicks!
sounds like a starter to me.
but some1 else said it's the stator?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Default RE: starter or stator prob?

The only way to know for sure if its your stator is to hook it up to a voltmeter and check what it says. Give us the reading of your voltages. Testing directly off battery with stator connected will be fine. It could be anything from your stator, starter relay, starter motor, starter switch (at your right thumb). As you say you have a new battery it wont be your rectifier. The bike should start fine with a new battery even with the stator disconnected, but dont do it, it will drain your battery in no time.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 PM

i will check the volts when i go home.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:02 PM

will my votlts from the batt is 13.5 but i havn't checked it with the bike running. i need help i dont have any body to push me.
is the starter relay under the batt? cause it's making clicking noises but it wasn't doing it the other day.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 AM

Follow your battery hot cable (red) until you find a little box with two studs on it. It will have one red wire attached to one post, and another wire ( more than likely red) attached to the other post. This is your starter relay.

I would put your bike in neutral..."important".... put the bike in neutral... take a screw driver, with the ignition in the on postion, take the screw driver.. ( or anything metal) and make a connection between the two post. the engine should fire. If it does, then you have a bad relay. If it doesnt, it may indicate a bad starter.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:32 PM

ok i tryed the relay thing & it didn't start. the starter just clicks.
& i jumped started it & while it was running the volts were like 17 to 18.
so im leaning torawds stater.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:38 PM

Something is very wrong.. either the way you measured, or the rectifier is crap. the most volts you should ever see is around 14. 17-18 is way too much and will fry your battery and possibly everything else eletrical on your bike.

Onto the starter, if it still just clicks while jumping the relay, then your starter is probably bad.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:36 PM

replaced the starter today. & still nothing grrrr

Old 08-30-2008, 12:05 AM

when it clicks.. does it click once and stop..... or does it do a constant clicking noise the entire time the button is pressed?

Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ok stop..breath....now listen
its NOT your starter
probably not your stator (though it could possibly be damaged now)
which brings me to your regulator/rectifier (which is the metal "box" on the exhaust side of the bike under the tail fairing)
this is very common to go out on early model hondas.

you have your battery,reg/rec and stator that make up the 3 main components of the electrical system. when one fails the others are put under a tremendous amount of strain to keep functioning properly. it has a cascading effect when one gets damaged causing damage to the others without causing an immediate failure.

now that i have explained that what you should do is go down to your local motorcycle recycle yard and get a used one for around $20-25 and plug it in. charge your battery and then hook everything back up and take it for a ride. you should be fine now.

now i would say you would be having stator problems if youjump your battery and then it just dies. reg/rec problems are usually more of a on/off problem. (which is worse because you ride your bike thinking its fine and its really about to leave you stranded)

i will say that in some situation i can be wrong about my advise. take the yamaha R1 for example. from 99-03 they have a stator problem that hits like clock work. around 20k miles the stator fails. i know many people this has happened too. didnt think anything of it when my 02 started having electrical problems. thought it was the reg/rec just like my hondas. then i remembered yamahas lilttle secret and sure enough its the stator.

but ive had enough hondas and have given this same advice to nermous people in your situation. go down tomorrow find a good used one and try it out. if im wrong then you'll only be out 20 buxs but its better then taking it to a shop to diagnose and easier then replacing the stator (which you may have to replace anyways in the near future depending on how long the problems have been present)

and if im wrong i have no problem admiting im wrong....

Quick Reply: starter or stator prob?