General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sssa VFR750 on F1 '88?

Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sssa VFR750 on F1 '88?

Hi people

Last week I bought an F1. This is my second bike and I'm going to make a streetfighter out of it
But now is my question as follows.
Is it simple/possible to mount a sssa from a VFR750 '93-'97?
I know that almost everything is possible
But do I need to make spacers or make anything else to fit?
I can buy a complete swingarm including
-Wheel
-Brake/brakelines
-Spring and mountings
Just everything to mount it and ride it

So is it hard to swap the sssa VFR750 to an F1 '88?

Kind regards,
Raymond

Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where there is a will, there's a way. Sure it is doable, if your have the time, money, mechanical skills and knowledge to pull it off.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Where there is a will, there's a way. Sure it is doable, if your have the time, money, mechanical skills and knowledge to pull it off.
Yes, I know that
But is it any reasonable?

btw, has anyone else done the swap before?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it has been done, but I don't know where. If you search the bowels of google, you might dig something up.

Here is a pdf for the f3 on the vfr sssa swap. http://www.omninate.com/cbr600f3/vfr-750-swingarm.pdf

Old 03-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
I think it has been done, but I don't know where. If you search the bowels of google, you might dig something up.

Here is a pdf for the f3 on the vfr sssa swap. http://www.omninate.com/cbr600f3/vfr-750-swingarm.pdf
MANY THANKS!

That helps a lot

Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

just about every single specification is available on that arm through google and other websites. you need to measure and compare. it will depend on the pivot bolt - and how much bigger or smaller the one on the viffer is compared to your bike's pivot - and the spacing in between the mounts - which i would think you'd most likely have to shave the viffer arm to fit - but i could be aroung

i know on some older and smaller bike, your pivot mounts need to be bored, on my bike though, i had to make sleeves for the viffer pivot bolt. i also had to grind the arm down a few mm on each side to make it work.

when doing this kind of modification, the most important things are the counter shaft sprocket being lined perfectly up with your rear sprocket on the viffer arm. thats where the orientation needs to be spot on. from there, things can be ground down or have spacers made.

are you going to use a VFR rim? or are you going car rim?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
just about every single specification is available on that arm through google and other websites. you need to measure and compare. it will depend on the pivot bolt - and how much bigger or smaller the one on the viffer is compared to your bike's pivot - and the spacing in between the mounts - which i would think you'd most likely have to shave the viffer arm to fit - but i could be aroung

i know on some older and smaller bike, your pivot mounts need to be bored, on my bike though, i had to make sleeves for the viffer pivot bolt. i also had to grind the arm down a few mm on each side to make it work.

when doing this kind of modification, the most important things are the counter shaft sprocket being lined perfectly up with your rear sprocket on the viffer arm. thats where the orientation needs to be spot on. from there, things can be ground down or have spacers made.

are you going to use a VFR rim? or are you going car rim?
for the VFR rim, it is a whole set that I can buy.
and is it bad if you have to shave a little bit of the swingarm?
Because that sounds not very good

Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM

no, you're making it fit, if you were grinding down into the roller bearings, that would be bad i would think. but because the pivot bolt is riding solely on the bearings, that material is essentially just there so it fits on a VFR.

but taking some off on the sides is no biggie. google streetfighter SSSA. most of those guys are using viffer arms, some use triumph arms, and a very few use ducati arms (all because of price). most of those guys had to grind or make spacers so they fit on gixxers, kawis, cbrs, yamahas, etc...

Old 03-18-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
no, you're making it fit, if you were grinding down into the roller bearings, that would be bad i would think. but because the pivot bolt is riding solely on the bearings, that material is essentially just there so it fits on a VFR.

but taking some off on the sides is no biggie. google streetfighter SSSA. most of those guys are using viffer arms, some use triumph arms, and a very few use ducati arms (all because of price). most of those guys had to grind or make spacers so they fit on gixxers, kawis, cbrs, yamahas, etc...
So it is good with me
After research I have to shave of a total of 5mm!!!!
On either side is that just nothing

But I have to look out for the alignment of the sprockets, that is the most essential part, right?

Thanks for the info, I'm going to order the viffer swingarm

Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM

ya, and that's generally the kind of amounts you have to deal with... i think mine was similar.

that's what i would line up. i mean, that's something you can't really space either way - and the chain needs to be dead on straight. another thing would be where your triangles line up and that sort of thing, but that should be pretty straight forward. i'm sure your bike is dead center (so it will line up).

it sucks doing this because you can't just do it with the arm, you have to have the axle carrier, hub, cush drive, and sprocket on - which needless to say makes it HEAVY as hell to work with - but it's really important that it's straight. you don't want an alignment issue with the chain - that will open a whole can of worms.

how are you planning on mounting the shock? because that will be different i believe. yours mounts to the top of the arm on the f1 and it mounts via triangles on the bottom of the vfr arm. it's the same situation on the F2/F3 as well. so i know it can be done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sssa VFR750 on F1 '88?