General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spinning bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:50 AM
hk3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinning bolts

Hello all, new to the forums

I've currently wrestling with some issues on my '98 CBR600 F3

2 of the three bolts on the right engine hangar plate are spinning, just above the CCT.

The nuts are still welded to the back.
They are both in too tight to be able to prize under the head (there is no play along the axes of the bolts).
I've tried to push / hammer from the back while unthreading but that isn't working either.
I've also tried removing the 3rd bolt and using the hangar plate itself as leverage but still no dice.

I'd really rather avoid having to buy the hardware to drill them out or grind the heads off (I don't think my dremel will make it!) but I've run out of ideas... any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Pics might help. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by spinning bolts

Do you mean that the head has stripped? If so you can use the dremel to cut a slot into the head of the bolt to get a screwdriver on it

Or do you mean that the bolt is spinning freely in the threaded nut? ie the threads have been destroyed and it just goes round and round but won't loosen off?

If so, you're gonna have to cut the head off the bolts to get the part free. You can carve away at it with the dremel but make sure to give the tool a chance to cool down every couple minutes or else it'll overheat and die. A better option is a grinder or cutoff wheel. I've got a cheap $30 grinder and it's served me well

If you're replacing the parts anyway and have access to the backside, a nut splitter would probably make quick work of it. A lot of parts stores will rent them out for free. You may or may not need to hack/chisel the spot welds as well though

Old 02-08-2018, 04:25 AM
hk3

Hi, many thanks for the speedy response.

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Or do you mean that the bolt is spinning freely in the threaded nut? ie the threads have been destroyed and it just goes round and round but won't loosen off?
Yep, that's exactly what's happening

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
If so, you're gonna have to cut the head off the bolts to get the part free. You can carve away at it with the dremel but make sure to give the tool a chance to cool down every couple minutes or else it'll overheat and die. A better option is a grinder or cutoff wheel. I've got a cheap $30 grinder and it's served me well

If you're replacing the parts anyway and have access to the backside, a nut splitter would probably make quick work of it. A lot of parts stores will rent them out for free. You may or may not need to hack/chisel the spot welds as well though
That's what I feared. I forgot to add, I also tried the old mole grips on the head. Oh well, I'll tackle it when I get the chance. At least I know the hangar plate isn't going to fall off

Old 02-15-2018, 03:20 PM
hk3

Just to follow up in case any one else has a similar problem with their hanger plates. I did get both bolts off without drilling / grinding: a g-clamp with an oversized socket over the top of the bolt head. Worked a treat, pushing them both out from the back

Old 02-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Good thinking. Glad it worked out