General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke/Can't find neutral

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke/Can't find neutral

Hey guys, I just bought an 09 CBR600RR new. I'm up to about 300 miles, and today when I pulled into the parking lot at work some smoke came up through the front park of the bike. I was also having some trouble getting the bike into neutral. it seemed to be riding fine, so this was really weird and really has me worried. Any idea what could be going on here? There was some light rain this morning if that could cause anythign like this.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:26 PM

If it was raining when you rode your bike I'd say it was rain on your header or exhaust pipes causing the smoke. As you have only done 300 miles and it is new, I'd go back to the dealer where you bought it from and take up the issue of not being able to select neutral with them as it will be under warranty. Don't mess around with it yourself or your warranty will be invalid if the dealer gets to know about it! Probably just needs the clutch adjusting as it sounds like 'clutch drag' or simply that the clutch plates aren't freeing off properly as you pull the lever in. Not a big problem but go back to the dealer mate.

Originally Posted by cbetts07
Hey guys, I just bought an 09 CBR600RR new. I'm up to about 300 miles, and today when I pulled into the parking lot at work some smoke came up through the front park of the bike. I was also having some trouble getting the bike into neutral. it seemed to be riding fine, so this was really weird and really has me worried. Any idea what could be going on here? There was some light rain this morning if that could cause anythign like this.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by highwaypatrol
If it was raining when you rode your bike I'd say it was rain on your header or exhaust pipes causing the smoke.
+1.

Scared me the first time my bike did that, I stopped at a red light and thought something was on fire lol.
The rain sometimes brings the oil in the road up.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM

Could the not getting the bike in Neutral be user error by any chance? Sometimes you need to push the bike forwards or backwards a little to switch gears when it's off.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Before wasting your time going to the dealer, just try and adjust the clutch cable out using the adjustment dial on the clutch perch! there is no way that will void any warrenty! If that doesn't fix it, then yes take it in to the dealer! also another way to tell if the cable is out of adjustment is when your stopped with the clutch pulled in and you take the pressure off your feet it will pull forward ever so slightly, but planting your feet firmly will still hold it still. good luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gear boxes & motors free up within the 1st 1000 clicks & on some bikes finding neutral can be a pain till you get used to it.
+1 on the steam from your motor. we all get paranoid with new bikes & assume the worst.