General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shuts off at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shuts off at idle

So my 99 CBR 600 was running fine until I worked on it this past weekend.

I changed the oil, I removed the evap canister, and I also put new coolant in the system. When I ride my coolant temperature is fine, but it feels like the motor temperature is smoking hot on my legs. The bike also shuts itself off at idle.

The oil that I was using before was Castrol 10-40
I noticed that the oil I put in is Castrol 10-30 (5qt)
The oil filter was also changed
The bike shuts off at idle whether its a cold start or warm.
Not sure if that's what caused the issue

The reason I removed the evap canister is because it only had one hose connected to it out of three. I figured it wasn't important.

The coolant shouldn't be an issue because it had water in the system before and now I drained the system and filled up with fresh coolant.

what do you guys think?

Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM

What are the revs at idle? The idle speed should be around 1200-1400 rpm so if it is below this, turn the idle adjuster up a bit. It's just possible you may have some air in the system when you changed the coolant. Try taking the top off the radiator and run the engine for a few minutes. This should remove any trapped air. Does the coolant return to the plastic container under the right hand side of the bike under the seat? If there is air in the water circuit it will cause the engine to run hot.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM

The problem may have occurred after you removed the evap canister. Might be sucking in to much air. You could try plugging the tube you disconnected from it and see if that helps. And like highway said check idle if it's off that could be why. Good luck hope it helps

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM

I second the evap canister idea.

I'm not familiar exactly how the evap system on your bike is setup, but that line could have been a vacuum line. Excessive vacuum leaks will cause an erratic idle. Check the line you pulled off and see if it's leaking vacuum and where it goes.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2 Plug that evap can hose, stick a bolt in it and it should hold good idle

Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 PM

So I haven't had this bike too long and did not know that oil changes had to be done with the bike straight up; Therefore, I put too much damn oil in the thing. I took about two quarts out and now it's leveled.

The bike is still heating up but no longer shuts off at idle.

I know since I put too much oil I will need to clean the airbox, filter, and plugs.

I think I damaged something by having too much oil because I have to press the starter button a bunch of times now before it even cranks over.

I made sure I plugged the evap hose. I also checked my coolant level and those did not solve the heating problem after a 20 mile ride. The coolant is doing its job because my temp gauge stays at the same level and drops when the fans turn on.

On a good note: I'm learning a ton about this bike. Thanks guys

Old 04-10-2014, 04:27 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Good to hear and if you ever need help don't afraid to come on over to the F4 section! We have a pretty good little group of guys that know a lot about them. Glad to hear that you got your bike back to running. As far as the hard starting, try charging you battery, the OEM R/Rs don't start charging until close to 5k rpm. As long as your fan still turns on and shuts off your good, well unless your going 80mph down a highway and it kicks on.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Good to hear and if you ever need help don't afraid to come on over to the F4 section! We have a pretty good little group of guys that know a lot about them. Glad to hear that you got your bike back to running. As far as the hard starting, try charging you battery, the OEM R/Rs don't start charging until close to 5k rpm. As long as your fan still turns on and shuts off your good, well unless your going 80mph down a highway and it kicks on.
Yes, when I was fixing my stator wires, my multimeter wouldn't show that the bike was charging until 4000rpm. Because of this, if I'm working on it with the key on (engine off) I have it hooked up to a trickle charge/maintainer. Plus mine has a really puny battery to begin with. It doesn't take a whole lot of cranking to kill it.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

I had time to work on it today.
The airbox was fine, the spark plugs were fine, and the air filter was fine.
I kept troubleshooting and took off my stator cover and it was full of gas!
I don't have my meter on me so I was unable to test my starter because it is no longer spinning.
My main concern is the gas in the cover..
Anybody ever run into that?
The good thing is my motor didn't seize up but I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Is it normal to have oil in a stator cover? It might be a dumb question but I need to know lol.
When I took the cover out there was about one quart of oil/gas in it

Quick Reply: shuts off at idle