General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i work on my own fork seals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i work on my own fork seals?

my left fork seal is leaking. i bought 2 new seals from my dealer and fluid. i usually do all my maintenance my self on my car so i figured this wouldint be much different. after doing alot of reading and learning how to do it i found alot of people are afraid to work on there front end. i realized it is different from a car and the front end of your bike ( or any part ) is not something to mess with if you dont know what your doing. so i called my dealer and they want 165 a fork. this is money i can justify for my safety but at the same time if i could do it my self i would rather save it towards something more important.

so im just curious to how many people will vote that they or i should do this my self or take it in?

i know you need special tools but if i have the push to do this myself i would spend a $100 or so on tools vs. taking it to someone to rape my wallet. plus i will start a collection of nice bike tools

Last edited by super600; 07-16-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: left out description
Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 PM

it is an 01 F4i with 11k miles

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say that you ought to do do it yourself. Just get yourself a manual, use the proper tools, and take your time; seems straight foward, imo. My bike's right fork has that dirty greasy residue developing so it's going to need rebuilding here pretty soon. Here's a link in case you haven't seen it: LINK.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 PM

its pretty easy if you have a friend with experience who can help you the first time. if doing yourself the first time it can get way confusing in a hurry

Old 07-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Others say I'm nuts but I always change out the bushings while I'm in there. Last time was at 11K miles and even though the bushings looked decent I threw in a new set. What da heck, another $20 was no big deal (they'll cost you more cause you don't know the people I know ).

Anyway, I say if you can change oil and do a brake job without screwing anything up then you are more than able to change fork seals.

A couple things to remember:

• get everything ahead of time
  • neatness counts
  • if you have access to a machine shop some of the "special tools" can be made rather easily
  • neatness counts
  • make sure you have a place to put everything you take apart in order and that it is clean
  • neatness counts
  • make sure you get ALL the old fluid out and measure the new stuff precisely. A graduated cylinder is a little piece of heaven.
  • if you take more than a day to do the job, cover everything so no dust or other contaminants get into your parts
  • neatness counts
And if you have a digital camera make a how-to and post it up.

Good luck!