CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Short wife wants a bike (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/short-wife-wants-bike-9574/)

unsquare 02-23-2006 07:48 PM

Short wife wants a bike

I posted a little while ago about getting my wife a bike. She is 5'–2" tall. She can barely touch her toes on a new Ninja 250. I know the cruiser type bikes have a little lower seat height but she says they are ugly. I thought about lowering the 250 a bit, but I
think that only the rear can be dropped.

Anyone run into this before? Ideas? Any non-current bikes that might fit the bill?

shraz 02-23-2006 08:16 PM

RE: Short wife wants a bike

get her a scooter [&:]

umm ninja 250 is pretty low already
also look at the ninja 650

try to find motorcycle boots with big heels

Lakota 02-24-2006 01:42 AM

If you can lower the rear you can always drop the forks and inch in the triple tree for the time being to match the lowered rear until she gets used to the bike.

Melantus 02-24-2006 02:04 AM

I wouldnt go through all that. The boot idea is the best don't screw with the bikes mechanics. The ninja 650R is pretty low and offers a more upright riding position so it gives a more user friendly feel.

unsquare 02-24-2006 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Lakota

If you can lower the rear you can always drop the forks and inch in the triple tree for the time being to match the lowered rear until she gets used to the bike.
The 250 forks won't allow the front to be adjusted like that.

I was also going to look at a Buell Blast. It might not have the build quality of some of the others but it has a seat height that is about five inches lower than both the 650 and the 250.

05Tribal 02-25-2006 03:01 AM

If the new Ninja 650 is too high I think the Blast is a good choice. There are a lot of good used Blast’s out there because people buy them as beginner bikes and quickly grow out of them. I keep seeing them for sale around here from the mid $2000's to low $4000's.

arkas 02-25-2006 03:28 AM

ORIGINAL: unsquare

I posted a little while ago about getting my wife a bike. She is 5'–2" tall. She can barely touch her toes on a new Ninja 250. I know the cruiser type bikes have a little lower seat height but she says they are ugly. I thought about lowering the 250 a bit, but I
think that only the rear can be dropped.

Anyone run into this before? Ideas? Any non-current bikes that might fit the bill?
My wife had the same problem....The best bike out there for short women believe it or not is the Ducati monster 600. It has a 29" seat height and if you buy new from your Ducati dealer they can remove some of the foam out of the seat to lower the seat height another inch or two, then you can adjust the rear shock to its lowest setting. All this will give you around 26" seat height. There's also a lowering link that you can buy for the 600 monster if you need to go lower.
I went through a lot of work researching this and getting everything ready, only to discover that the wife wants to take a trip to some sunny resort instead????????I don't get it. Oh well.
Ducati now has a monster 620 and its the same has the older monster 600. Its a sharp looking bike and goes for $9000 Canadian. Good price for a new bike.
Hope this helps you.

unsquare 03-30-2006 06:47 PM

Well, we are going to wait until she completes the Police academy (5 months), then get her a scooter...probably a Vespa. I came to my senses and realized that I should get her what she wants... not what I want her to want.

rrasco 03-31-2006 11:44 AM

so she would rather have a vespa?!?

unsquare 03-31-2006 12:04 PM

That is what she is saying. I just don't like the things. And on top of it, she'll be a cop on a scooter. I'm sure the guys she works with will give her **** about it...not that she'll care.