General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Rider

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Rider

Im only about 5'6 1/2 and 150 pounds, Im a small guy. I know that lowering a bike takes away from the handling but i want to atleast be touching on the front ***** of both my feet when riding. Is this feasible for someone w/ my dimensions on a 600 or 1000RR w/out running into serious issues? And if so how difficult on these specific models if anyone can help. Thanks

Old 10-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Default RE: Short Rider

Start here:
http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/162531/ShowPost.aspx

The short answer is that you can lower it. The real question is whether or not you should. If you only plan on riding street, you'd be okay but will have clearance issues at times. If you plan on riding track, do NOT even consider this.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let you know I am 5'7" at 180 and I can touch the ***** of my feet at a stand still. I can further touch flat footed with my left foot while holding the back brake with my right. To to this the bike is slightly leaning to the left but I am able to keep it balanced easily with my legs.

My advise to you is if you can balance the bike by keeping the back brake held with your right foot and keep the ball of your left foot on the ground while keeping your hands off the bars then I would not lower your bike at all. This technique might take some time to get used to. My friend who is your size but maybe 10 lbs heavier does this to keep his CBR600RR up right at a stand still. He used to use the same techinque with his 05 ZX-10 before it got stolen.

Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 AM

I dont know what the ride height difference is but im 5'5 or so and 165lbs..i can hit both ***** of my feet on pavement on a 99 F4. But they never are both on the ground at once for the most part...I as well lean slighty to the left and hold the back brake with my right.

Old 10-21-2005, 12:09 PM

While I was over in Okinawa, those little fellas were riding Busas and other large bikes with no problem. I'm only 5'7" 1/2 myself but these guys were way shorter than I. They would pull up to a light and put just the left foot down and hold the rear brake with the other. I think this and a little lowering will help you find a happy medium.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:40 PM

Ya i guess i wasn't to worried about being able to hold it up, but more of a comfort thing and also an appearance thing as silly as that sounds. But i've ridden alot of bikes taller then what i am especially when it comes to dirt bikes. I've ridden a really tall dirt bike for a long time on hard core off road trails and i can only touch on the toes of my left foot, so like i said its more of a comfort and appearance issue from being so small. But thanks for all the imput guys, nice to see there are other ridders out there my size

Old 10-22-2005, 12:38 AM

I'm 5'4" 145 lbs. do you ride with your feet down on the ground? Do you try to slide through corners like you are on a CR125?

My bike is an 05 600RR. I single foot it at stops. Sure, I would be more comfortable if I could touch both feet.. at all. But I can't, and I have learned to deal with it.

I am not about to comprimise the handling characteristics of my bike to be more comfortable at a stoplight. If I wanted comfort, I would have bought a fat old mans cruising bike. But I want to ride... and ride fast, not work on a bike and scrub oil spots from my driveway.

Learn to love it the way it is... Enjoy the numb hands, the sore wrists, and the tingle in your ***. (I think they make a cream for that)

-Steve

Old 10-22-2005, 04:56 AM

I'm 5'2" and didn't lower my F4i, I just bought bigger boots. It was cheaper and it is not hurting the performance. Try looking into some boots.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:01 AM

Ya, appreciate all the insight...thanks everyone

Old 10-22-2005, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Tribal_Steve

Learn to love it the way it is... Enjoy the numb hands, the sore wrists, and the tingle in your ***. (I think they make a cream for that)

-Steve
Is that why my wife likes to ride so much? LOL

Quick Reply: Short Rider