General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

she looks so helpless, i want to ride again!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default she looks so helpless, i want to ride again!!

So I have been on this site helping others get there bikes started running but now my bike is having issues. the issue is the fuel pump does not engage, I pulled the pump out of the tank and hooked power directly up to it and it worked fine so that narrows my issues down to the sensors that have to work properly for the bike to start, such as bank angle sensor, kickstand sensor, clutch sensor, neutral, and engine kill switch. the battery is fine, fuses all in tact, now how do I test each sensor to find out which one I have to get a new one of? help me diagnose this issue so my baby can run again.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Default RE: Starter Magnet problem, help please

anyone

Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Default RE: she looks so helpless, i want to ride again!!

well I spent the day today working on some friends cars and a couple cruisers and now its time to get a bit of sleep and then work on my bike in the morning, anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? I am getting to a point where I might just take it to a shop and pay the $125/hr fees they will charge me just to get it done. please if anyone has any hints on where to look please let me know

Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Im not sure if this will help. I have my headlight removed from my bike right now so I measured the resistance in ohms on my bank angle sensor. Measuring the middle white wire and the end red and white wire, with the ohm meter set to 2000K. The reading I got with the sensor upright was 289, with the sensor flipped over it went down to 24.

As far as I know. there are only a few things that will stop your fuel pump from turning on. The bank angle sensor, the fuse, and the ignition key. The kickstand, clutch switch and neutral switch wont prevent the fuel pump from priming up. Im not 100 percent sure, but I dont think the kill switch will stop it either.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Is there a relay that feeds that fuel pump?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 AM

Sounds like it's time to get a voltmeter and get to work. I'd start with the fuel cut-off relay and work back from there. I have aschematicfor the '06 and '07 1000RR I could send you.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 AM

I do have a voltmeter and I have downloaded the wiring schematic for my bike but I am not sure on how to to test relays.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM

Attached is a snapshot of the schematic, for the purposes of this discussion I lableled the wires 1 through 4.

Wire #4 sends +12V to the fuel pump. In order for this to happenyou need +12Von wires 2 &3 and 0Von wire #1.When you turn the ignition key to"on" the fuel pump only runs for a second to two, so you'll have toget the voltmeter test leads in place when you turn the key on. Connect the negative lead to the bike's neg battery post and put the positive lead on the relay terminal to be tested.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15079/CBC7BD8601ED41558E55F29C655BCF94.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2009, 03:42 PM

ok I did the testing and my wires are not coming out the same as you are saying they should, wires 2 &3 both get the required 12 volts but wire #1 gets 12 volts as well while wire 4 gets nothing.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Did you check the resistance on your bank angle sensor yet? just curious to see what results you got.

Quick Reply: she looks so helpless, i want to ride again!!