General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie Painter Needs help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie Painter Needs help

Hey guys, I have a 97' CBR 1100XX. I bought it without lower cowls. I have bought some used ones and need to repaint them. What is the proper technique and materials. Looks like the originals are some sort of Gel coat Casting made when the part is molded. Anyone out there done this and had good sucess. Love my bike but a little ugly with out the lower cowls. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Default RE: Rookie Painter Needs help

get some 220 grit paper, that should take the finish off the parts ok, then, sand them smooth, the finish should look dull, then if they are in fair condition and not too dark colored anything your should be ok to shoot your first light coat of paint. If they are slightly scratched, you will want to pick up some filler primer, and a tack cloth, or if the fairings are black and your bike is white, you might also like to pick up some light grey primer to cover first. Then a couple coats of primer, sanding between will take care of that. Now that either situation will be taken to the same part, after your first light tack coat, wait about two minutes, and spray a heavier coat, just close enought that the paint will "flow" and what that means is it will become shiney, like the top of a calm lake, in essance, all the little beads of paint come together to form one big bead, not unlike water on a freshly waxed car, only alot smaller. After this, if you are happy with the paint either clear coat it or seal it. Some people like to sand and reshoot again, I personally dont see the need in this as the way I have discribed has always worked well for me. Post any other questions you might have too or if anyone feels anything is needed to this process please feel free to add. Good luck and hope this helps!

Old 08-02-2005, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of paint, do I need to add flex? Thanks Joe

Old 08-03-2005, 02:21 AM

not a problem man, thats what Im here for! As for flex... only if you decide you wanna lay it down and not have cracks in the paint[:'(]

I would use just good ol' auto paint, if you were in the cheap market, go to napa, they can put whatever color you want of automotive paint in a spraypaint can, and use that to paint it, then clear coat if you wanna. If you go that route, I would surely have them add fish eye preventer and the flex. also see if they will add orange peel eleminator too while they are at it... prevent!!!!! Good luck!

Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 AM

Two other things I though of. Will most paint supply places be able to mach the factory paint code? Also on my lower cowls the decals are clear coated over. I realize there is no way to save them, but how do I remove them. Just sand the clear off? Any good sources for new decals other than honda's $36 ea?? Thanks Joe

Old 08-04-2005, 05:38 PM

Yes most good parts stores should be able to match your colors, also, just sand down your old decals, and if you didn't wanna spend the cash, take pics of what the old decals look like and after you paint mask off the shape of them and paint them on. Super easy!