CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   Road Trip (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/road-trip-132426/)

dveldtf4i 11-18-2011 11:57 AM

Road Trip

1 Attachment(s)
Wondering if this tire is good enough for a 1000 mile round road trip. Any thoughts? I think it has about 12k on it, front tire looks fine. I mostly commute on it, as you can tell from the flat spot in the middle.

74demon 11-18-2011 12:29 PM

nope. that tire looks like it would be dangerous in the corners.

gotcbr 11-18-2011 12:50 PM

I wouldn't set out on a 1k trip w/ that tire. Replace it & have peace of mind.

dveldtf4i 11-18-2011 01:03 PM

No cash for a new tire. maybe the picture just looks worse then it is? I'm not even close to my wear bars yet and the bike still feels plenty stable going around curves at 80 on my commute. Might have to rethink my road trip.

IDoDirt 11-21-2011 05:00 PM

The tread on the sides looks fine to me. It's the straight line tread (the part that's worn out) that would worry me. In a thousand miles you might be riding on the air.

74demon 11-21-2011 05:25 PM

rolling from the flat spot to the edges makes the bike very unstable, even though the tread is good there. but it is worn out in the center.

next tire should be more of a dual compound, if you plan on going straight that much again.

dveldtf4i 11-21-2011 06:04 PM

Pretty sure these are dual compound, just not sure how many miles there are exactly (Guessing close to 15k on them and I've put 8k on alone). I'm forgoing the trip on the bike and taking the truck instead. I'll make another trip with it once I get new tires and have a chance to do some maintenance on the bike.

74demon 11-21-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dveldtf4i (Post 1114500)
Pretty sure these are dual compound, just not sure how many miles there are exactly (Guessing close to 15k on them and I've put 8k on alone). I'm forgoing the trip on the bike and taking the truck instead. I'll make another trip with it once I get new tires and have a chance to do some maintenance on the bike.

truck is a good idea, with the rain and all. this is southern california, wtf? guess we should be happy to get some rain to wash things down a bit.

15k is pretty good mileage. i only get 4-5k tops, but i turn a lot. make a point to spend more time turning next season. ride with me some, it'll be fun!

DonnyBrago 11-22-2011 08:18 AM

It's knackered. Impressed you got 12k miles out of it though, you must ride like an old lady :icon_wink:.

Looks like a pilot road, single compound touring tyre.

kazspeed 11-22-2011 08:43 AM

Those are some HUGE chicken strips!

And no that tire is not suitable for a 1000 mile trip. The price for a $100 tire is a lot less than taking a turn and catching an edge on those squared corners on your tire and dumping the bike.