General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rim polishing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim polishing question

Hi all!
Was just wondering if anyone knows about a specific kind of adhesive tape to use when polishing rims. I tried a few different tapes on some test spots but the paint remover just ate right through it or made the adhesive break loose.

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers,
~Bulls~

Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Rim polishing question

Hey, I polished my rims last year and now for the last like 2 weeks have been polishing the frame and swingarm and everything you can see for a winter project. I had the same problem as you.I just used a brush and did it very carefullywithout taping anything. And use medium steel wool to rub the stripper off with. It might take a couple coats as mine did on some parts. Then steel wool medium on everything, then fine, then ultra fine. Then I used mothers aluminum polish and rubbed it off with a buffer. Did that about 10 times and it looks great.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the tip m8. I guess I'm gonna have to be ultra careful. The stripper I'm using must be extremely strong cuz I can just wipe the paint clean off with a rag as per my test spot.

Once again I thank you for the information.

Cheers,
~Bulls~

Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 PM

The stripper I used was aircraft paint stripper. I got it from walmart and it is in a container and looks like butterscotch pudding(seriously). I only had trouble on the left part of the rear wheel. I dont know why but everyother part came off easy. And as for the frame that im polishing now... Within 5 seconds the annodized coating on the aluminum is all off.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would STRONGLY recommend taking the wheels and having the tires removed. Do the mod, then have the tires remounted. If you get that crap onto the tires, it may be fine now, but later on you could have the possibility of a blow out.

Not to mention, if you ruin one of your tires, it'll still cost you more to replace it than if you had your tires remounted. Don't cut corners, and have the tires removed, especially if this is your first time using the stripper. (not to mention, the end result will turn out better)

Old 12-22-2007, 02:45 AM

Oops!
Too bad I didn't read your advice before I went ahead and did it.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 AM

I used the blue painter's tape that can be picked up at Home Depot. It worked very well.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks m8. I ended up just using regular painters masking tape & being very cautious & wiping off any runovers immediately. Got an excellent result. Will post closeup pic soon.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:52 PM

Here is the result

Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 PM

Wait, would you mind telling me what kind of remover you used? I have a pair of powder-coated rims and need to strip them, as I can't sandblast the aluminium. Does it say if it works for liquid and powder?

Quick Reply: Rim polishing question