General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rim LED's

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009 | 02:11 PM
|
Default Rim LED's

Right so my project to kit my bike out with white/red LED's is in full swing.

Just a quick sum up of the plan. Im kitting the entire rear of the bike with red LED's hidden in the nooks and cranny's. When I hit the brakes the entire back end of the bike will glow red. Im splicing into the 12v which supplies the brake bulb.

The front of the bike is getting similar treatment with white led's. From the side windows on the fairings and all around intake area for the radiator will be kitted out. It will run off the fullbeam, passing light and a optional switch so I can keep them on if I so wish.

I will be noticed!

Most of the red LED's and wiring are in place and im waiting for more LED's to arrive in the post.

Now the point of this thread is, I was browsing youtube and came across this. I've no idea why theres 2 of the same video but you get the idea.

I know you can those cheap LED's for the tyre valve but ive heard mixed reviews. They are rather cheap though and thus, appealing. Does anyone have an idea of how this is achieved? Ive been thinking slip-rings but that would mean a fair amount of work/cost. They company that offers that LED setup retails it at $4500 I could always make little modules and glue them to the rim but I fear that would upset the balance. Plus I doubt they'd stay on for long once I reached cruising speed.

This is all in the name of visibility as the days get shorter.

Last edited by Preid; 10-21-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-21-2009 | 03:35 PM
Banned

My uncle is a police officer. He's here visiting my new apartment, and I asked him about this since he is a cop as well as a fellow cbr rider.

The red/blue colors on that youtube video are a SURE WAY to get pulled over. You cannot have red/blue lights on a bike/car/anything. He told me that if he saw that on a bike he would ticket for the following:

- Red/Blue lights are illegal to ride with. (Also you could potentially get in trouble for impersonating an officer with those lights.)
- Driver Distraction.

Just a warning. Not trying to flame post or anything, just saying that you should be careful. It's a free couple tickets for a cop to write.

Old 10-21-2009 | 03:41 PM
Banned

I read my post and it sounds hostile, and i'm not trying to argue or anything.. Just a friendly warning to a fellow rider.

Old 10-21-2009 | 03:45 PM
|

I hear ya Nick, im well aware of the legality surrounding what im doing. I dont want to imitate the colour sceme on the GSXR's rims. I only want static red LED's for the tyres, which is legal. The red led's at the rear of the bike will only glow when braking. Ive had reports from fellow riders that my brake light in the winter sun is near impossible to spot!

The static white LED's at the front are legal for onroad use as they dont project on other road users, they simply illuminate the vehicle aka running lights. They will only be on while ive fullbeam which I use during day riding or when I hold the passing light. I hold the passing light and pulse the brake light when im at the lights if I dont feel im safe.

Im not doing this to get annoy the 5-0, I just dont want get flattened!

Old 10-21-2009 | 03:48 PM
Banned

I understand, sounds good man, good luck.

Old 10-21-2009 | 03:56 PM

prolly is, cagers that would hit a bike n claim they didnt see em still wont see you because its not a matter or you being seen its a matter of them looking n paying attention. So no matter how many LEDs one puts on their bike will remedy that issue.

I'm not all into lighting my bike up like a xmas tree but sounds like u have a kewl plan going on. Post pix when you get er done.

Old 10-21-2009 | 06:03 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Cool

I drive a semi truck I have been rear ended driving 60 mph. He didn't see me. I have been side swiped by a car passing me on the two lane. He thought he had passed me. My friend had a pickup pulling a camper and a boat hit him while passing the pickup thought he had passed cleared him on the pass. My truck had 100's of lite with a 53' box trailor same as my friend. My point is no madder what you have semi truck to unicycle if the driver is not paying attention they will not see you at all. You need to drive/ride defensively and watch out for everyone.

Old 10-21-2009 | 10:07 PM

The cheap leds that mount to the valve stem will throw the wheel out of ballance and create a bad wobble. basically, they are activated once the sensor inside the led is tripped by the movement of the wheel. I guess you could get the same gram weight and place it directly across from the led, but they look horrible too.

Im not sure how an entire strip on the wheel would be either. I would imagine a closed loop with small batteries inside one of the spokes?

If your going to light up the entire rear end anyway, I would but some reflective wheel stripe tape. Point a few of your led's at the side of the wheel and that should illuminate the reflective strip create the same effect. I doubt it will be anywhere near as bright, but I bet it would still be very visible.

Old 10-22-2009 | 11:03 AM
|

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
its not a matter or you being seen its a matter of them looking n paying attention.

I'm not all into lighting my bike up like a xmas tree but sounds like u have a kewl plan going on. Post pix when you get er done.
The sooner they see me, they longer they have to come out their vegitated state and react. Sure it wont work with all drivers but im pretty sure it'll help.

You need to drive/ride defensively and watch out for everyone.
Im well aware of how stupid drivers can be. When I ride, I ride as if im invisable. So far so good!

The cheap leds that mount to the valve stem will throw the wheel out of ballance and create a bad wobble. basically, they are activated once the sensor inside the led is tripped by the movement of the wheel. I guess you could get the same gram weight and place it directly across from the led, but they look horrible too.

Im not sure how an entire strip on the wheel would be either. I would imagine a closed loop with small batteries inside one of the spokes?

If your going to light up the entire rear end anyway, I would but some reflective wheel stripe tape. Point a few of your led's at the side of the wheel and that should illuminate the reflective strip create the same effect. I doubt it will be anywhere near as bright, but I bet it would still be very visible.
I was thinking along the same lines! Ive been doing some research and it appears they also bend valve's as the momentum forces them towards the rim. As for led's all around the rim, although good in theory will require alot of work and the end result will probably throw the balace off and look horrible when not in motion lol. Glue gun special

Im now looking for shiney mirror-esk tape. If it ends up looking tacky though, which theres a high chance of. Ill try out another method.

Old 10-22-2009 | 11:13 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Lightbulb

http://tapeworks.com/Rimstripes/Rims...tives%20anchor

This works real good and have colors to match your bike.