General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return to stock height

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013 | 10:00 AM
|
Default Return to stock height

I just bought an f4i, but it has been lowered. It looks like the forks have been slid up the triple clamp.

Are there any good "how to's" to return the forks back to stock height?

I have a pitbull triple tree stand.

Also, I can't tell if the rear has been lowered or not. Is there anyway to confirm if the rear has been lowered? The link appears to be stock.

Links to "how to's" would be great! I can't seem to find any!

Old 09-07-2013 | 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

I purchased an F4i about 6 months ago. It had been lowered in the front and rear. To put the front back to stock height, we use a step ladder that straddled the front of the bike. We then used straps from the top of the ladder to the tripple tree to support the front of the bike. Then simply loosen the fork tube pinch bolts and allow them to slide down.

We did the same for the rear. The rear link was obviously aftermarket since it had 3 holes in it for setting different amounts of lowering. There are 2 primary methods used for lowering the rear. Either item #6 or #8 is replaced with a part having multiple holes in it. On mine, it had factory position, 1" lower and 3" lower. Using the same method with the ladder, we supported the rear of the bike took the bolt out of one position on item #6 and put it in the factory position.

Each task took about 30 min or so to do. I hope this helps.

Old 09-08-2013 | 08:22 PM
|

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I purchased an F4i about 6 months ago. It had been lowered in the front and rear. To put the front back to stock height, we use a step ladder that straddled the front of the bike. We then used straps from the top of the ladder to the tripple tree to support the front of the bike. Then simply loosen the fork tube pinch bolts and allow them to slide down.

We did the same for the rear. The rear link was obviously aftermarket since it had 3 holes in it for setting different amounts of lowering. There are 2 primary methods used for lowering the rear. Either item #6 or #8 is replaced with a part having multiple holes in it. On mine, it had factory position, 1" lower and 3" lower. Using the same method with the ladder, we supported the rear of the bike took the bolt out of one position on item #6 and put it in the factory position.

Each task took about 30 min or so to do. I hope this helps.
I have a pitbull triple tree front stand so that should be good enough for lifting the front to adjust the forks right?

If I use a ladder for the rear, should I tie the straps to the frame or subframe?

I guess ill go by harborfreight to pick up some of these:
Set of 2, 1" x 12 Ft. Lashing Straps

Do you think 2x straps will be enough?

The aftermarket part on the bike is #8.

Did you have to remove any fairings to make it easier to get to the dog bone link?

Old 09-08-2013 | 08:43 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

The triple tree stand is designed so you can remove the forks and service them. Whenever I need to service my shock I use a set of jack stands and put them under either the rear of the engine or the rearsets. it works great and the bike is super stable.

Name:  AAChoice2_zpse8000a62.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  78.7 KB

Old 09-14-2013 | 08:07 PM
|

I probably cannot do the jack stand on the rear sets since my rears sets are Oem and fold up no?