General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regulator Rectifier Harness Corrosion.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator Rectifier Harness Corrosion.

Unfortunately while i was painting my bike i had to leave it outside of my friends house for a few weeks. I finally have it back together and running then it just dies on me. Checked the fuses all was good then i knew it had to be the r/r.

turns out its not the r/r its one of the harness wires that got badly corroded and now separated from the harness.

I cant find any harnesses and alot of the r/r's on ebay dont come with a harness attatchment.

Any ideas? I dont know of any great way to put make sure the wires are all solidly connected into the harness again so i figured a new one is in order,

Last edited by Michaud85; 04-19-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM

Is the wire bad at the plug? or is it just mid harness somewhere?

If its mid harness, it should just be a simple matter of removing that wire and installing a new one.

If its at the plug-in, you have a few options. The cheapest would be to bypass that wire. You can cut the wire from the harness, and then from the R/R and then plug them into eachother directly with a set of terminals.

Or, you can buy a universal pin connector and rewire your harness that is on your bike, and the harness that comes from the R/R.

Either way will be much easier tha replacing the entire harness. Plus, if you buy a used harness, you may be buying one that is in the same condition as your current one.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM

one of the wires got corroded and actually came out of the harness we jammed it in there with a screw and the bike ran fine again for a few minutes before dieing