General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regular Maintenance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular Maintenance Parts

Hello!

I'm going to be doing some work on my motorcycle this winter which includes all the general maintenance parts.

I'm looking to put good stuff onto the bike, not looking to cut corners, but also not looking to buy race parts that I will never have the need for.

Bike is a 1994 CBR600F2, here are the items I could use some help deciding on...

Oil Filter
Air Filter
Engine Oil
Gear Oil
Brake pads (front/back)
Tires (front/back)
Chain Lube

I know I am forgeting some things right now, but I could just use some simple guidelines or suggestions on parts to order for the bike, I want to get it ready for the spring so I can use it.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Inspect the brake pads, no use replacing if they aren't worn. You don't say what the
milage is, that would help project how much wear and what else to look at.

As far as general list if things to be aware of and inspect, for possible maintanence...
Check the fork seals, inspect all of the hoses for cracks/stiffness as signs of old age.
Chain and sprockets, teeth aren't rounded in the direction of the rotation/still have
room for the adjusters to take up slack. Change the brake-fluid out, it is hydroscopic,
meaning over time it draws moisture out of the air and degrades. Get the little cable-lube
tool and first hose the cables with WD-40, then use a quality cable spray, till it runs
out the far end of the cable. Also, change the coolant in the radiator. Does'nt hurt to
run a can of Seafoam (or similar product) through the gas every 500-ish miles or so.

Don't forget a walk around to assure all of the lights/turn signals are working properly.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 01-05-2012, 06:42 PM

Yeah, I have a bulb to replace in the headlight, but all the lights do work so that's good. I will probably run some seafoam through in the spring. Any suggestions for chain lube and cable lube? Any kind of coolants better than others etc?

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advice above.

These are what I use in my Hondas:
* Honda oil & air filters.
* Pro Honda GN4 or Rotella T oils (avail at most walmarts)
* Factory Honda brake pads - high quality & reliable.
* Dunlop Q2's are what I'm currently using but have used Michelin PP2CT's recently as well. Tires are personal preference & depend on what type of riding you are doing most.
* Pro Honda Chain Lube is what I'm currently using but there are many good chain lubes avail. Belray (avail at most walmarts), PJ1, Motorex, etc.

Be sure to check out the various tire, oil, & oil filter threads for options, views, & feedback.

ETA: I use Pro Honda 50/50 premix radiator coolant.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

No need for gear oil.... the transmission shares its lubrication with the engine.