General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reducing wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default reducing wind noise

I have a stock f4i windscreen and a fx-28 AFX modular helmet

with these pair of items...wind noise is unbearable at highway speed. even at street speeds its pretty noticeable and since its modular there are little space in which when air hits it ..it makes a whistleing noise right near my ear. I have a XBi bluetooth and i can't even use it on the highway cause I can't even hear them.

So...should I buy a double bubble ...or a new helmet. What would better help my situation.

and if helmet...what is a good helmet for wind noise but also well ventilled..or is it one or the other. cause I would guess more vents equal wind noise.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent

Hey Chetman, I have a Scorpion EXO 400 and it's fairly noisy. One thing I would suggest is to start using earplugs. It will cut out a lot of the wind noise and allow you to listen to the engine better. Another thing to consider is that prolonged and continuous exposure to wind noise is very bad on the ears (permanent hearing damage).
I've gotten so used to riding with earplugs on that I will not ride without them, just like my helmet & gloves. It's worth giving it a try, it's a cheap solution.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had similar problems when I first started riding. Like you I also had the stock windscreen and an HJC CL-15 Helmet with the ChatterBox X1 Bluetooth.

I noticed when riding I would get a lot of head bobble at higher speeds and an annoying wind noise. So a friend told me to change the stock windscreen to a double bubble and it would take care of the head bobble. I did and it made a huge difference. No head bobble and less wind noise.

I then also changed from the HJC CL-15 to the HJC CL-SP and it had reduced the wind noise by 90%. Now when I stream music from my Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner in the trunk to my Chatterbox, I really don't have any wind noise.

I did notice at high speeds and with the volume of the music low, I had a deeper thumping noise towards the back of the helmet. Since I started wearing ear plugs, no wind noise at all. It does take some getting used to, but very effective.

Here is a link I found on YouTube that is hosted by the rep for Arai in the UK and he explains the different types of wind noise and the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_npo...eature=channel

Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cheap helmets will be loud, more expensive helmets or reputable names will be quieter.

Thats were the extra money goes into, comfort, lightness, and noise reduction.

all helmet makers make em to the same safety standards, so paying more for a lid thinking it safer is wrong, that $30 Bell at walmart is just as safe as the $800 Arai.
But you prolly wont hear much wearing the Bell, neck hurt, headache, etc. The quality isnt there in comparision to the Arai. One day I will be able to afford an Arai lol.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:25 AM

+1 on all the advice so far.

Exo 400 here - I just put the iPod shuffle on with some HED PE and I can't hear a DANG THING!! LOL - so kidding, well kind of!

It is about the helmet, windscreen and what you can do such as plugs as they have already mentioned.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:14 AM

playfulGod,
I used to have the same opinion regarding the more expensive helmets would have little to no wind noise. After doing a lot of research and helmet fittings, I found that I was very wrong. It is not about the price, but how each helmet fits your head correctly.

Here is a link to Web Bike World and it has excellent reviews on helmets.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

I have a friend that works for HJC so getting an HJC helmet is not a problem for me at all and I wanted to buy the AGV Stealth Dragon Black Helmet very badly. I love the look and fit of it, but after reading the review I had changed my mind and I am going with the HJC FS-15 Black Carbon Fiber Helmet.

As for the safety standards are the same for all helmets, well I am sure than can be debatable in many different aspects.
I only want the best protection for my head as we all do. So I do a lot of research on several websites to see how motorcycle helmets are tested for NHSTA DOT and SNELL approvals. After watching a lot of their testing videos I have decided to only wear helmets that are DOT and SNELL approved. Only my opinion. To each their own.

This is just for informational purposes only. I am not picking on, or slamming you in anyway. Again, only my opinion.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:56 PM

I've got an EXO-1000 (same one as PlayfulGod's avatar), and I've never been irritated by wind noise. It starts to get noticably loud around 70mph, but not to the point where I can't hear my headset. I'd say that has to be heavily based on body shape and riding position, though. I imagine you'd want to keep as little air from flowing under the helmet as possible, as that's where the most turbulence is created. If you can't make any progress there, maybe you need a helmet thats shaped more appropriately for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 PM

thanks for all the info so far....def gonna read thru it all again and look up some of these helmets.

wat also blows about my helmet is that the visor doesn't sit all the way down to the mask so it lets air in sometimes. Sometime if I don't sit it down correctly enough air will come in and try blowing my contacts out. and secondly my girlfriend got me this helmet for my 21st so i'm kinda forced to wear it.

I find it hard to find a helmet that suites a persons needs without being able to try it. All I can go on is people's reviews...bummer.

Time to go do soem research cause nice helmets don't come cheap

Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 PM

p.s.

I just read a bunch on the exo 1000...and it sounds like an amazing helmet. Lots of nice features.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 PM

after I bunch of research and comparing and contrasting..I'm gonna go with the HJC fs-15 carbon fiber.
sexy, light, good airflow, and pretty quiet.

Quick Reply: reducing wind noise