General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wheel fishtailed - am i lucky?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear wheel fishtailed - am i lucky?!

Hello

Quick question: couple of days ago, i was making a tight right turn, and locked the rear brake, the bike fishtailed for a second, i released the brake and did make the turn. My question is was I lucky not to have highsided?

Thanks
Happy holidays
-b.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Default RE: rear wheel fishtailed - am i lucky?!

i would say so

Old 12-30-2008, 05:30 PM

I'd say you were lucky yes, but it also depends how far around the rear had come when you let go of the brake. I used to ride like a hooligan on my 600 bandit, and regularly 'backed it in' to a turn by feathering the rear brake. I once made the mistake of going to fast into a corner and ended up with the bars at the stop, let go of the brake and it spat me into the hedge bottom. On my 1000F if I am slowing from speed I only use the front, using the rear from about 25mph down. I have done a couple of trackdays in the past, and never really used it.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:43 AM

It is difficult to answer your question without knowing your experience level. As a wet behind the ears rookie yup you were lucky. As a more experienced rider it was probably no big deal. Speed plays a big factor here.
If you are just learning I advise taking the MSF riders course. One of the excercises they do is braking in a curve and emergengy braking in a curve. With the course behind you your confidence and knowledge will be enhanced in this situation.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM

probably lucky that you handled it well. i know that happens to me sometimes. worst time was going around a turn, and some of the painted lines running parallel to the road were smooth so they were slippery. i veered onto the line on the inside turn and started sliding. somehow i pulled out of it. the car behind me probably was more scared than i was.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locking up the rear brake? Take the MSF course.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM

holy **** i fishtailed for the first time today. road was very wet. slowing down from 30mph to about 15mph to make a right turn. used 100% rear break(very stupid of me) luckily i was going strait when the rear slid out. slipped to the left about 1 foot off center. luckily i wasnt going that fast so regaining traction didnt toss me. scary indeed though.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:39 AM

Only about 30% of the braking force is available from the rear wheel. With the front applied too its even less because of weight transfer. You should have your corner speed set before the corner so your notdividing valuable traction between cornering and braking forces.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM

Like thrasher says, everything needs to be done before you enter the corner, gear, speed, entry point, exit line. If you youtube the MotoGP boys, and find some good onboard stuff, you can see it all being done! Notice also how most racers are looking past the apex and at the exit point the instant the bike is leaning!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: daazndood

used 100% rear break(very stupid of me)
You need to take the MSF course too, and if you already have DO IT AGAIN!

Quick Reply: rear wheel fishtailed - am i lucky?!