General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan Not Kicking On

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan Not Kicking On

Yesterday I was in traffic and witnessed my temperature gauge rise and rise got to 250. Luckily i got on the interstate and cooled it down. I turned it on today and watched it rise to 225 and the fan never came on.

I ride a 2003 CBR 600RR and am wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this. If so I would really appreciate the help/tips. I'm wondering if I need to replace the whole radiator/fan or if it is something electrical.

Thanks,
Drew

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find the fan connector, disconnect it from the harness and connect it directly to the battery posts. Dunno your bike's wiring so I can't tell you what colors in the connector.

If the fan kicks on, its not your fan

Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the advice Kuro... Now just so I don't come back with a question immediately after I try that, lets say my fan does kick on when connected directly to the battery..... Is it a wiring issue then?

Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 PM

Well before you check the fan directly, check the fuses. If the fuses are good, you can either check the fan directly or use a voltmeter to check the wiring. Checking the fan is prolly easiest. If the fuses are good and the fan works, then you should begin checking the wiring. Your service manual should have the troubleshooting steps for which wires to check and voltage to expect.

If everything still checks out good, it could be your thermostat. That's a little more difficult to test (requires you to boil water ).

Basic ts for anything electrical on your bike (pretty much everything) should start with the fuses. It's the simplest check availible (admittedly I assumed you already checked them)

Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM

also you will need to change the oil in your bike because when the temp reaches a high temperature the oil will break down cutting the viscossity to half so it is very important

Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 PM

I appreciate all the help guys. I am currently out of town, but when I get back Sunday I plan on changing the oil/filter, coolant (adding Engine Ice), and then experimenting with the fan. I'll keep you guys updated with the progress.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Check the coolant level. If its low it won't tell the switch to kick on. If the coolant level is okay my second guess would be the switch is bad.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 PM

I had the exact same problem with my F3. I couldnt figure out what the heck was wrong with it for a couple weeks. I finally realized it was just a blown fuse. I replaced it and havent had a problem since.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 PM

*UPDATE*

Tonight was a very lack luster night that just left me somewhat frustrated. Below is what I did.

-Checked Fuses. All are ok.
-Tested Voltage on Fan Relay. Although my buddy and I couldn't really stay that steady it looks like the relay is sending on 12v as it should.
-Attempted to run battery directly to fan. Now this is where I need everyones help because I don't think I was doing this right. Does anyone know how I would connect the battery to the fan? My buddy and I were holding our wires to the back of the fan where it looked like the normal wires ran. We also tried to go straight through where the relay connects.

All these attempts brought me nothing. I hope someone out there can give me a hint so I can try something new tomorrow.

Thanks all!

Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Sorry I have a 95 F3 so I don't know your bike's wiring. You might try taking this to the 600RR section now for more help

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan Not Kicking On