CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   R/R (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/r-r-152663/)

Jonathan Rabolli 08-30-2014 05:06 PM

R/R

I recently put a r1 R/R on my bike and after three days of riding the battery quit. I have the model FH012A R/R on my bike.

I went and drove about 30 miles the first day to just test the bike after installation no problems second day i went to a neighboring town 40 miles round trip no problems. Third day I had fun and went to the canyons. three hours of riding no problems riding in traffic for about 15 minutes with one long stop probably 2-3 minutes. then as soon as I was parking the cycle backing it up into the parking spot the bike dies. Try to start the bike and the battery is dead. I charged the battery up to full and checked the R/R and the battery charges 13.3v at 5krpm. When i rev the bike up to the fun zone 8k+ the R/R puts out 13.9v ish . The R/R is working but is this enough power at those higher rpms?
the bike wasn't perfectly warmed but the bike was warm. the manual says 13-15.5 at 5k rpms but that is a huge range. i checked stator and it is 50v AC - 70v AC from 5k-9krpm and is consistant and rises linearly.

Is this just a case of traffic or is this an R/R already going bad.

highwaypatrol 09-02-2014 04:28 AM

I think when you checked the charging system at the revs you mentioned you should have seen a voltage of around 14.2 at the higher revs of 5.5k. The fact that the voltage stayed at 13.3 volts suggests the R/R may be faulty. You could try substituting yours for a known good one and see if that improves the voltage readings.

Drumsergeant 09-13-2014 05:56 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread so my apologies for hijacking this one.

But as for R/R can they be interchanged?
I have a 95 f3. Can I slap a r/r from a newer bigger bike and have it work? Or does it need to be the exact same?

Conrice 09-13-2014 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Drumsergeant (Post 1280706)

I have a 95 f3. Can I slap a r/r from a newer bigger bike and have it work? Or does it need to be the exact same?

You just need to wire it correctly and then any R/R will work. The weak spot is generally the connector and there are quite a few people that hard-wire them in (deleting the connector).

Drumsergeant 09-14-2014 05:01 AM

Well for servicing reasons hardwiring it seems like a dumb thing to do. But I'm going to rerun the wiring and have the connector a few inches for the R/r so its easily accessed

CorruptFile 09-14-2014 11:13 AM

I hardwired mine. If I ever need to "service" (?) my r/r, I'll cut it out. The reason half these r/r's blow up are the connectors, they get corroded and that increased resistance = increase heat.

IDoDirt 09-14-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Drumsergeant (Post 1280706)

GSX/R R/R's work really well on F2/F3's. I know from experience since I've put in a few of them. Most any 5 wire R/R will work.