General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about motorcycle milage..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about motorcycle milage..

Hey everybody,

I'm new to riding, and am looking to buy my first bike. I found a really nice CBR600f4i for sale this weekend, and it's in great condition, clean as a whistle, and very well maintained. It's a 2003, but the only thing is the bike has 17k miles on it. He's selling it for $5000.

Since this is my first bike, i'm not sure if 17k miles is a lot or not. How many miles do you usually get out of a motorcycle before it's time is up? Does 17k miles mean that this bike is on the 2nd half of it's lifetime, or that it's just beginning still? Please help as i'm looking for a loan right now for the bike cause it seems great but I don't want to get screwed over if 17k miles is a lot.

Thanks!
Derek

Old 10-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Questions about motorcycle milage..

Well for what it's worth, my '04 F4i (which just turned 2 years old last tues 17th), just turned 69,000 miles today on my way back from Biketoberfest up in Daytona (4 hr ride). Never any problems with it and she's still running as good and strong as the day I bought her new. It's a Honda, they're bulletproof...no worries!! Seriously though if it's been taken care of, you got nothing at all to worry about with 17k. With F4i's usually the only problem spots are the CCTL which will just make noise. As for overall reliability though, top notch!! Mine has taken me through 11 states so far without so much as the smallest hiccup....ever!

Bike sounds like a good deal if it's in real good shape... I'd jump on it

Old 10-22-2006, 11:03 PM

well, it really depends on how its been taken care of, and how it has been ridden. if it was run at low rpms all its life, and oil changed religiously at 3000 miles or so, it's probably just like a car, and beginning its life.

now, on the other hand, if the bike has been stunted, raced, or abused for the majority of those 17k miles, it may be nearing a need for rebuilding the motor.

like I said, it depends on how you maintain it, and ride it. as far as signs its been raced, look for stuff thats been safety wired, or bolts with holes through em for safety wiring. as far as stunting, other than a big azz sprocket on the back, or rubber built up under the fender, I dont know how to tell.

since its a CBR, I think that its very likely beginning its life. these bikes are above average in durability, Honda knows it and wont dare change a good thing.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:08 PM

You do not see many bikes with high mileage because ppl tend to crash them before they mature :P

but the fact is commuting on a bike and riding it everyday puts alot of mileage.

The main concern you have to ask yourself is: Did he take well care of it, does he have all the maintenance information, did he do the major service at 16,000K (valve check), has the bike been stunt or tracked?...

Old 10-22-2006, 11:31 PM

Hey that's great news. Yea the bike is pretty much in perfect condition except for a few minor scratches from when he tipped it over. He wasn't moving when it tipped and i can tell cause i read that SUPER LONG used bike evaluation guide and went through it with a fine tooth comb heh. How much does that 16k mile valve check cost to have done? Maybe i can bring the price down a bit if he hasn't done it.

The only crappy thing now is trying to get a loan. I didn't think $5,000 was all that much to ask a loan for, but I can't seem to find anything less than 10% apr. I mean come on, they want 500$ for loaning me 5k? Sucks but I want this bike bad heh.

Oh, also the guy has a helmet, jacket, and gloves that all fit me that he'll toss in for $500 more. I don't really think it's worth it for $500 cause i'll want to buy a helmet that isn't used, and 500 bucks for 3 pieces of used gear is pretty high. Anyway, point is that i'll probably end up having to buy a jacket, helmet, and gloves, and I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations where I can buy some of this stuff without paying insane amounts of money for it.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:09 AM

I'd skip the gear he's got for sale, buy new. NEVER EVER EVER get a used helmet. you cant tell from looking at it if its been down, dropped on pavement, or something like that which could compromise its protective capability. its worth the extra money to have that peace of mind knowing your helmet is safe. there's always deals to be had online too.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:51 AM

Pass on the gear, I bought two jackets (one textile - Joe Rocket, one leather - Shift) Scorpion helmet and a pair of gloves for less than $500. Bobthebiker's right...look online, you can find great deals!!! Good luck with the bike. Be careful.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That price seems a little bit high for a 2003 600F4i.

I just bought a 2004 CBR 600F4i for my wife so she would leave my 05 600RR in the garage. The bike is black with red decals, Yosh pipe, unknown make fender eliminator with 5,500 miles on the clock. The bike's plastics are mint, and it also came with a Vortex rear stand.

Cost to drive to Tampa from Lakeland to view and buy the bike? $20
Cost to purchase a 2004 CBR 600F4i? $5,000
Getting my wife off of my 600RR? PRICELESS!

Seriously, shop around - you wil find the right bike.

I found a Shift M1 Leather jacket for $129 on Motorcycle Superstore's website in the clearance section. Buy it one size bigger than you normally wear.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:08 PM

I only paid $3,400 for my '02 CBR F4i with a Yoshi pipe and only 5,800 miles on it. I guess I got a great deal then

Old 10-23-2006, 02:41 PM

Ya i got a little ripped off i bought a 94 f2 for 1900 it had 15k miles on it. I know these bikes are completely different and you probably wont have the same problems I had but i thought I would tell you some of the things I ran into. I had to replace spark plugs, battery, and from the soft laydown that mine had it was missing an exhaust gasket and I still need to fix my carb syncronization. I also had to replace the back tire and chain and sprocket, i know my chain and sprocket looked fine it is hard to tell until you ride it for a while that u need a new one, which is kinda expensive. But I dont mean to be discouraging sounds like you got a good deal there.

Quick Reply: Questions about motorcycle milage..