General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about my bike tipping over

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my bike tipping over

Hey guys, last week or so, I was riding home from dinner with my wife following behind with the baby. Anyway, On the way home, bike stalled out, low on gas, I pulled off to the side of the road, rocked the bike to get the gas to move around. I get it started and road the 1/4 mile to the gas station. At the gas station I heard hissing, flat rear tire. I plugged it and road it home. About a mile from home the bike started to get sluggish and the rear end felt a little loose.

Get home, come to find out the plug pulled out when I was almost home. My first plug, guess I didn't do something right. Well anyway, I parked my bike in the back yard, with the kickstand side on a slight up hill grade. My back yard parking spot is grass, so I have a metal lid under the kickstand. Well, I walk in to turn on the outside light, and on my way back out, I see my bike standing straight up. by the time I get close enough it's too late, bike goes over. No real damage other than a broken windscreen, (mirror folded and cracked it).

I fixed the leak with another plug and then the bike sat for a few days, rainy weather. Well when the weather let up, I took it out for a ride, plug was good held good air pressure. Took the bike to the local shop to see about getting a new tire. Only about a 12 mile ride one way. As I was riding the handlebar input felt different. Sometimes when I am on a straight road, I will let go with my left hand and rest on the tank and sit up. Well on my ride, I did this, and was very light on the throttle side. I let off the throttle coming to a red light. As the bike was slowing, I felt a big vibration in the handle bar as the bike slowed through about 45 mph, then it stopped. When the light went green I got it up to 60, and let it slow again, and felt the vibration again. Did I do something to my front end to cause this wobble? Nothing looks bent or out of place.

The bike fell over onto a grass surface so it's not like it fell on concrete. Air pressure is good in the front tire also. Could a tip over like this have caused a major problem? Rear tire pressure is good too.

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coulda tweaked the forks out of alignment

Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 AM

wow what a mystery :P

So the vibration is originating from the handlebars? You are completely sure that it is not coming from the engine? Also, does this only happen when you lightly hold the handlebars? Exactly how big is this big vibration? is it just buzzing your hands or does it shake violently?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Coulda tweaked the forks out of alignment
That's what I was wondering, maybe.

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
wow what a mystery :P

So the vibration is originating from the handlebars? You are completely sure that it is not coming from the engine? Also, does this only happen when you lightly hold the handlebars? Exactly how big is this big vibration? is it just buzzing your hands or does it shake violently?
I don't know where it is originating, but that's where I feel it. If I hold the bars with a good grip, it kinda feels like when your car needs an alignment. If I hold real gently, they start to wobble pretty decent, almost like it is wanting to tank slap.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
That's what I was wondering, maybe.

I don't know where it is originating, but that's where I feel it. If I hold the bars with a good grip, it kinda feels like when your car needs an alignment. If I hold real gently, they start to wobble pretty decent, almost like it is wanting to tank slap.
jeez i cant believe a small fall on grass could have done this.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
jeez i cant believe a small fall on grass could have done this.
Yeah, me either, that's why I came here asking.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 AM

the first thing i would have suspected is the front tire psi, it can be very touchy. Other than that idk man. it hard to imagine a clean bike falling into grass would mess it up. best of luck.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any fall onto any surface can knock the forks out of alignment. Do a search for align forks, follow the instructions and then see how she rides before assuming anything worse

Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM

i have crashed my bike last year going 30mph and that did not do anything besides body damage so i don't think tipping it over would really do anything. unless it could be forks for you not sure though

Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM

Well, I went to 2 different bike shops and talked to them, and both seem to come to the same conclusion, they both think that a belt in the rear tire may have broken and is causing the wobble in the front end. Going to get a new tire Friday and I will see if that helps. Hopefully that is the problem. They said I may have broken one when putting the plug in it.

Quick Reply: Question about my bike tipping over