General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power not going to starter relay

Old 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power not going to starter relay

This is my first post, and it might be a difficult one because I've been reading and wracking my brain with this problem for 3 weeks now.

I picked up a '94 CBR 600 F2, the bike hadn't been started in over a year (maybe two years), and prior to that the bike had been dropped, fairings broken, towed multiple times and I picked it up in non starting condition.

-Put in a new battery, dash lights come on.
-Starter relay works (tested with a multi meter).
-Starter solenoid works (jumped the leads at the relay).
-All fuses good including the main one on the starter relay.
-12 volts coming out of regulator/rectifier.
-Kill switch and Start button in working order (tested continuity)
-Side stand switch works (side stand light on the dash says so)
-Clutch switch, don't know how to test this, but took the lever apart and the little switch in there seems to be working.

Everything seems to be good except when I hit the start button, the circuit closes but, 12 volts is not making it to the starter relay. Any idea what I could have overlooked, or common issues with this bike I need to look for?

Things I don't know:
Clutch switch, how do I test or bypass this?
The oil light stays on when I turn the key, is this normal, or is there a problem with the oil pressure sensor that kills the starter?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
When you pull the clutch in, you should see continuity across the clutch switch.
The oil light should be on when the engine is not running, there would not be oil pressure to open the circuit to kill the light.
You didn't mention testing the neutral switch.
Also, here is a starter relay some where that has diodes to direct current flow to allow starting while in gear (neutral switch open ) and clutch in and side stand up.
It may be best to post in the F2 section to get feedback from members with similar model.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Welcome to the forum.
When you pull the clutch in, you should see continuity across the clutch switch.
The oil light should be on when the engine is not running, there would not be oil pressure to open the circuit to kill the light.
You didn't mention testing the neutral switch.
Also, here is a starter relay some where that has diodes to direct current flow to allow starting while in gear (neutral switch open ) and clutch in and side stand up.
It may be best to post in the F2 section to get feedback from members with similar model.
Thank you!
Neutral switch also works as the dash light cycles on and off when I hit the shifter.
I guess I should find the corresponding wires and test the clutch switch as that's the only thing I haven't confirmed as of right now...
Only other thing it could be is the ECU.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It may be a failed diode in the start system as I mentioned above. I remember reading in the forum someone had that problem but I don't remember what model.
Like I said, maybe post your problem in the F2 section and maybe someone with the similar model can direct you to where to locate the diode.
That diode is the 'brains' behind letting the bike start while in gear with clutch in and killing the bike when in gear and side stand down.
I guess it could mimic a bad ECU as it directs conductivity between the ECU and the clutch lever/neutral switch/side stand circuit.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
It may be a failed diode in the start system as I mentioned above. I remember reading in the forum someone had that problem but I don't remember what model.
Like I said, maybe post your problem in the F2 section and maybe someone with the similar model can direct you to where to locate the diode.
That diode is the 'brains' behind letting the bike start while in gear with clutch in and killing the bike when in gear and side stand down.
I guess it could mimic a bad ECU as it directs conductivity between the ECU and the clutch lever/neutral switch/side stand circuit.
That diode, I believe, relays the signal to the dash lights. Unless we're thinking of two different diodes. But following a wire diagram I found online, there's only one diode on this circuit.