General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help With Ringing/Whistling Noise 2002 CBR 954

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help With Ringing/Whistling Noise 2002 CBR 954

Hello. I would appreciate any help in diagnosing a very bizarre noise I am getting with my 2002 CBR 954.

I will explain it in detail. I have been to a couple mechanics and they either can not hear it or do not know where to start.

The noise is a "ringing" sound. Very high pitch like your ear is ringing. It could also be compared to a high pitch whistle. It occurs mostly when moving but continues after the bike is stopped and I can make it happen in neutral when stopped.

Here is the weird part...it can only be heard when I have my helmet on. I initially thought it was the helmet but I can also hear it if I hold my hands over my ears. It is not very subtle. Something about filtering the engine noise makes it very audible and irritating.

It is definitely the bike because it stops when I turn the bike off. I have explored if it could just be me but others can hear it too.

I suspect it is electrical because the "pitch" changes when the fan switches on (it is not the fan) or when I turn on the high beam.

I noticed today that it was not occurring with an almost empty fuel tank but resumed when I filled the tank. This may be coincidence.

I am certain that the sound is not: the fan, engine noise, exhaust leak, resonance from wind passing though the fairing, or brakes/wheels squealing. The sound does not change with RPMs or speed and can be heard (faintly) while traveling on the highway even.

It is VERY high pitch.

This is very tough. It is extremely irritating an I know it will be a wild goose chase if I put the bike in the shop. It seems to only be audible to the rider on the bike. If I lean forward I can not hear it.

The bike runs perfect otherwise.

Please respond if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 PM

You should sell it. I will give you $3,000 since it makes an irritating noise.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 AM

It could just be a noisy stator. Depending on the load it has on it, the pitch will change as more electrical output is required. Doesn't mean anything is wrong, you may just have extremely sensitive ears to the particular pitch that is being produced. Ever jump start a car? notice the alternator on the car change in pitch with the hood open as soon as you hook up the other car? On bikes, there is nothing to shelter your ears away from the noise as the engine is sitting in the open.

Do you have any other electrical add ons? Anything that may be causing more draw from the stator? Different than stock rectifier? high wattage headlight bulbs? Also, speaking of headlights, if you are running HID headlights, the ballast can create a high pitch noise as well.

Also, check the status of your battery. If its weak, it could cause your stator to work a little harder.

Since I've never heard anything like your describing, these are only guesses. But it would make sense if you have extremely sensitive hearing and your stator is working hard. Kneel down by the stator to see if its louder there.

And also, this may not be related at all. But if your helmet has ear phones in it, those can trasmit the electrical noise from your bike.

Other than those, Its very hard to say what it is. Other than all bikes will make some noise, but not to the point that it should bother you.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 AM

i have a f2 that did the same thing i replaced my stator this year cause it was junk and i dont hear it anymore so it might be your problem and there very easy to replace to just takes alittle bit of time.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:49 AM

Hi. Please don't think I'm being flippant, but if you really like the bike why not just try earplugs and see if it deadens the noise a bit? I use them when I ride for a more comfortable ride on long trips and stops the ringing in my ears I used to get when I took my helmet off! Worth a try I would say!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
It could just be a noisy stator. Depending on the load it has on it, the pitch will change as more electrical output is required. Doesn't mean anything is wrong, you may just have extremely sensitive ears to the particular pitch that is being produced. Ever jump start a car? notice the alternator on the car change in pitch with the hood open as soon as you hook up the other car? On bikes, there is nothing to shelter your ears away from the noise as the engine is sitting in the open.

Do you have any other electrical add ons? Anything that may be causing more draw from the stator? Different than stock rectifier? high wattage headlight bulbs? Also, speaking of headlights, if you are running HID headlights, the ballast can create a high pitch noise as well.

Also, check the status of your battery. If its weak, it could cause your stator to work a little harder.

Since I've never heard anything like your describing, these are only guesses. But it would make sense if you have extremely sensitive hearing and your stator is working hard. Kneel down by the stator to see if its louder there.

And also, this may not be related at all. But if your helmet has ear phones in it, those can trasmit the electrical noise from your bike.

Other than those, Its very hard to say what it is. Other than all bikes will make some noise, but not to the point that it should bother you.
Thanks for all the responses. This is a good idea. The owner prior to me made some obvious electrical modifications that I can see.

They put in "blue" tinted headlights which I am sure draw more power then stock.

I will check the stator. It might be worth just trying to replace it.

The noise is loud enough to be a major irritation and distraction. Sometimes louder than other times.

The noise is coming from the front of the bike but if I lean in to get a bearing on where it is it cant be heard. Very bizarre. That is why I am leaning towards some sort of electric resonance. Stator makes sense.