General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Welding??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Welding??

I took my bike apart today to install the frame sliders but I took the upper cowl off too because my signals should be here this week. But when I got the upper off two of the tabs that hold the headlight in place are broken. I'll take some pics here in a little while, but how can this be fixed? I don't have an air compressor or know how to plastic weld, but I can learn if I have to. Is there anyother way to repair this, some kind of glue or epoxy? I can use my dads compressor, but does anyone know someone that could do the job for a good price? Shipping the piece shouldn't be too bad but how much should I expect to spend? I can't ride for a while, but it needs to get done before spring. Thanks in advance

-Jesse-

Heres the pics

Old 02-19-2006, 09:44 PM
L8X
Default RE: Plastic Welding??

superglue?

Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: L8X

superglue?
I heard that super glue will actually eat through plastic? Would that actually hold up, or were you being sarcastic?

-Jesse-

Old 02-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Plastex is the bomb.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: regener8ed

Plastex is the bomb.

Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call tomorrow. How much does it cost?

-Jesse-

Old 02-19-2006, 11:25 PM

I was in the new book section of my local library and spotted this book: How To Repair Plastic Bodywork by Kurt Lammon. This book tells you more than you ever want to know about plastic repair. The first thing is to identify the type of plastic. Most street fairings are ABS plastic.

There are four glues you can use. The two-part glues (epoxy) are best for cracks or large holes, and can be used for backside reinforcement. Cyanoacrylate (superglue) is best for tight-fitting cracks, and if used with a tight-fitting backing plate may be a good structural repair. Methacrylate (plexus) is best for missing tabs and flanges. It's useful in areas where geometry (folds or bends) is complicated. Plastic Fusion Welding is best on cracks where geometry isn't complicated. For more info, get the book. But from what I read by skimming the chapters, I would use epoxy.

Old 02-20-2006, 01:00 AM

Hey Turnin20s
I would just use fiber-glass resin, you can pick up small containers at your local hardware store for next to nothing ($5-$10) and thats plenty. Just rough up the area around the broken part before you do it and try to get some under the broken part.
Personally thats what I would do.
"Bondo-Glass" might work also

Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 AM

I went to Ace hardware and got this tube of "plastic weld" for like $5, It looks like epoxy in that 2 tube dispenser. I glued my center tail fairing tabs on with it and it works great. strong as ****!!!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks guys, I'm going to autozone today to get some 2 stage epoxy, the one that has 2 different tubes. I used that on my windows in my car, where the drive motor connects to the glass, the tabs that the cable connect to were broken off. I bought the epoxy and used that and haven't had a problem for more than a year and that was attaching plastic to glass. I don't know why I didn't think of that before, but I guess its better to ask before I do anything. Thanks for the input guys

-Jesse-

Old 02-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your goin the right route turnin', last year my buddy put his zx-6 down. we used the 2 stage epoxy on a hole in his headlight housing, we were afraid when it heated it up it would be a problem, but it's been driven about another 1000 miles and stil holding.

Quick Reply: Plastic Welding??