General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIIIr Ignition Features

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIIIr Ignition Features

Hey there. i was wondering if anyone out there has played around with the ignition curve on the PCIIIr? If so did you notice much of a difference in performance? thanks

Old 01-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Default RE: PCIIIr Ignition Features

I only have the PC3 Satandard Whats the Ignition Curve do?

Old 01-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Retired Administrator

Ignition timing... that should only be set by a very qualified, trained and insured mechanic. If you get the timing off a little and the valves start saying hello to the tops of the pistons.... that could be bad.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only changes spark timing -- well, the PCII changed spark timing ... I've been told the PCIII usb doesn't offer this but haven't played with a map personally to know. But if it were to offer timing changes it would either advance or retard the spark not the actual mechanical aspects of pistons to valves. Gotta go with different lobes or sprockets to do that. Either way Don is 100% correct in saying that it's very dangerous to mess with the timing #'s without knowing what you're doing. Detonation at 11K rpms is sure death to your engine.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Retired Administrator

DynoJet offers this as an add on to the PC III... here's the link for the 600RR.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:02 PM

Now just to make my inline four a `big bang` engine so it fires cylinders 1 and 3 together then 2 and 4 together yeah!

Old 01-11-2006, 12:11 PM

I have experience playing around with the ignition curve on my '04 954rr and had to try and tune a 2002 R1 with the usb model and let me tell you the usb model is not worth the money, first of all the program is a different format so none of the maps are transferable between pcI II III or IIIr and the usb, so u can only use usb maps which hardly anyone has, not worth the money, second of all all the newer sport bikes already have an ignition curve preset that advances automatically, so messing with that is pretty much a waste, you may find a handfull of places on a stock curve that the ignition could be bettered, i had mine professionally dyno tuned after i messed with it for months trying all sorts of maps and trying to tune it in myself, sucks after paying $350 for the power commander that u hafta pay another $300 for a custom dyno tune but its worth it, no more hickups or bobbles runs smooth as silk from idle to redline, and as many people think its worthless, i really do not recommend removing the cables to the exhaust valve, its there for a reason and the computer is programed to use it, so unless u reprogam the computer after u remove it then ur wasting your time and money

Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM

I seriously hope you don't think you can actually do that...much like the pistons hitting valves comments, it is not possible for you to change the firing pattern of you motorcycle without altering the crank and cams and then fuel injection and timing...dingbat

Old 01-11-2006, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: reevesna

I seriously hope you don't think you can actually do that...much like the pistons hitting valves comments, it is not possible for you to change the firing pattern of you motorcycle without altering the crank and cams and then fuel injection and timing...dingbat

Keep your knickers on!! Who pissed in your shoes? it was a joke.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Retired Administrator

I'm not one that likes to argue here... but my comment about the valves meeting the pistons... was a general comment about royally screwing up your engine as a shade tree mechanic. Timing is something that should only be changed by a qualified person.

Quick Reply: PCIIIr Ignition Features