General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Question

I bought SEM brand paint from an auto paint supply store...I know nothing about paint and it was around $10 per can while Duplicolor from an auto parts store is around $5 per can. Is this SEM stuff twice as good as the duplicolor or did I overpay?

How many cans do you think it will take to paint a complete set of fairings? I got 2 cans of silver and 1 can of black with 2 cans of high gloss clear.

Race Upper, front fender, and Supersport tail will be silver.
Race lower will be black.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Default RE: Paint Question

nevermind I think I found my answer.....SEM is way better.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM

I'm in the process of painting my g/f's ninja 250...I used 4 cans each of primer and primer sealer...I used duplicolor...Ihave not heard of SEM. I went with Duplicolor because the color coat was 50% off at Meijer...this is a budget bike build

Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 PM

SEM is very good. Does it have a blue tip on the can? If so it is a sherwin williams paint in the can.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 PM

SEM is a brand that is normally found in body shops and things of that sort, you do not see it at Wal-Mart and what not for the same reason you don't see alot of good products there, it is too much money, but the money is worth it. 99% of the time, you get what you pay for.

I always see everyone spray bombing their bikes. Do any of you guys go to body shops and ask if the painters there want some fast easy side work? I am getting two whole bikes painted, an RR and an F4i with primer sealer, base and clear (all high quality AutoColor brand paint) done for $120 each. Granted I used to workwith the guy in the bodyshop, but he doesthis all the time for alot of people. I just prep the parts and hand them over. I wouldspray them myself, but this way they are being done in a booth. Anyone in NJ and wants parts or bikes sparyed, shoot me a PM I can try tohook you up.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Yes it has a blue nozzle.

I can get mine painted from a guy who works at a car dealership painting for $300 but wanted to try my hand at the less than $75 method.

If I could have gotten them for $120 I would have just done that.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:30 PM

See if you lived near New England for a 30 rack and you buy the paint I would have done it

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Its supposed to be around 32-36 degrees outside the next few days around here but, I was going to paint in my attached garage...not heated but it is attached and not too bad in there.

Would that be too cold to spray paint in? I will have a hot bucket of water for the spray cans to sit in to help them stay warm.

If that is not an ideal temp, what would the minimum outside temp be to do this?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 AM

I always thought it had to be a minimun of 50 degrees to spray...you could always try it but it will take the paint a lot longer to set up but it might not lay as flat when you spray the parts...I was lucky enough to be able to use someones heated garage

Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 AM

inside the garge it very well might be around 50....it is an attached garage just no heat. Actually it is all plumbed for a gas furnace to hange from the wall or ceiling but I am looking into getting a ventless one if thats even possible so I dont have to cut a hole in the wall for the vent.

Or I can also just use a plug in heater to help heat it while I am out there too...

Quick Reply: Paint Question