General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

96 900 rr overheating. What do I need to check or replace to fix this problem

Old 10-01-2010, 12:18 PM

try checking the thermostat is working properly. i dont know how to but it is worth a shot. also make sure you have fluids, it is a dumb mistake, but i've known people who forgot to check and same thing happen to them.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More info required .

Fan running at all Y/N ?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man
Default update

Fan is not running at all. All fluids are good i just replaced them about two weeks ago.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:50 PM

check the fuse for the fan. also, there is a wire coming from the fan that needs to be grounded or something in the front of the radiator i think. i had a problem with my fan, the guys at the shop forgot to plug the damn thing back together, i plugged everything in and i'm good to go now.

also, what temp is your bike running at? my fan doesnt come on until like 223 farenhiet.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Update went and bought a new fan switch put it in and still to my knowledge it wasn't working took it over to dads and the temp that the fan kicks on is about 225 i didn't realize it was okay for my bike to run that hot and if it wasn't for you guys i would have replaced the entire water pump so thank you it does work i just thought it should have kicked on sooner

Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

A couple of things that allow it to run at that temperature. The radiator cap allows the cooling system to build up pressure which raises the boiling point of the coolant. Also, that you're running a mix of water and coolant. The coolant or anti-freeze also has a higher boiling point than that of water alone. It sounds like things are running normally. I take it that it never boiled over or that you had any coolant coming out onto the ground ?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Official CBRF Decal Man

I had it boil over and found anit freeze on the ground once i had the bike at a idle for about 20 minutes i got scared so didn't ride it

Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 PM

I read you recently changed your coolant. The most important part of doing this is getting ALL air out of the system. If you have a little bit of air left in the system it will boil/not pressurize properly and will constantly overheat when it shouldn't. Ride it, park it, then take your radiator cap off once cooled. If coolant isn't at the top, keep adding to "burp" all the air out. I did the same service on my 929 and it developed a heating problem. That's how I fixed it.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:13 AM
Default Another suggestion

If all the mechanical reason it could be overheating are covered, you might try adding a product called water wetter to your coolant. I makes the water able to absorb more heat from the engine. You can pick it up cheap at just about any auto store.

I had an overheating problem in my turbo dodge neon and this fixed it.

Quick Reply: overheating