General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok To Top off with Rotella T6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok To Top off with Rotella T6?

Just as the title says...I was curious to know if it is okay top off the oil level in my f4i with t6 when there is an unknown oil already in the bike.
I bought the bike a few weeks ago and have already put about 1000 on it since (its my DD when I don't drive my wrx)...I have been planning to change all fluids etc since I just got the bike, but haven't gotten around to yet. i noticed yesterday while out riding around, the oil level was low.
since i am not able to get to a bike shop to pick up bike oil (which i am assuming is the only place that carries bike oil...can anyone confirm that?) i was curious to know if i can top off the bike with some t6 until i can head to the shop and change the oil this friday/sat morning

thanks all

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally wouldn't do it but there isn't any harm that I can find. Good news is you don't have to use "motorcycle specific" oil. Rotella T6 is fine to use in your bike.

I did last season and many guys here use it all the time. I changed to Mobil 1 4t Racing oil for my bike this year as a personal preference. It is a "motorcycle specific" oil and it's generally availible in Pepboys and Autozone.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:10 PM

ohh ok...if i can actually get bike oil at autozone etc... then that will be fine then. i was under the impression that they didn't carry it.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:20 PM

I ran t6 in my bike last year with no problems. I plan on doing it again this year.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by greenc51
there is an unknown oil already in the bike.
I bought the bike a few weeks ago and have already put about 1000 on it since (its my DD when I don't drive my wrx)...I have been planning to change all fluids etc since I just got the bike, but haven't gotten around to yet. i noticed yesterday while out riding around, the oil level was low.
I'd suggest you just do a quick oil change on it and replace ALL the oil with T6 or some other oil, what ever you prefer. Since you don't know whats in it and you've put decent miles on it would be a good idea.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DagonRais
I'd suggest you just do a quick oil change on it and replace ALL the oil with T6 or some other oil, what ever you prefer. Since you don't know whats in it and you've put decent miles on it would be a good idea.
Yeah, I understand that. But I won't be able to do a full change until this coming weekend. That's why I was asking about topping off the low oil until then.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM

You might as well. It wont hurt anything. I'm not gonna say all oil is the same because it's not but if you're just gonna run it mixed for 5 days I can't see it causing any problems at all. I run T6 in my F4I and it seems to love it so you could stick with that.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 PM

cool beans - thank you sir

Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM

do an oil change. peace of mind is worth much more than a measly 30 bucks...

Old 05-16-2011, 04:38 PM

not everyone here seems to read all posts before replying?

Quick Reply: Ok To Top off with Rotella T6?