General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Ok to Disclose Bike VIN to Potential Craigslist Buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it Ok to Disclose Bike VIN to Potential Craigslist Buyer?

Hey all

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but this seemed like the most appropriate general section.

I am selling my bike and have an ad up on craigslist. This morning I received an email, which appears to be legitamite and not some spammer or someone set out to have me cash a phony cashiers check. His phone number and university email address is in the signature.

Anyway, this guy asked that I provide the VIN. Now how safe is this from my standpoint? Will this guy be able to pull up my name and and address, and possibly create a key based on just the VIN? I apologize in advance for my paranoia, but you can never be too cautious, especially on craiglist

Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 PM

you should be alright i've seen vins on there before. now i would still wait till you can get someone who actually knows what there talking about before you send it to him. just my

Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a reasonable request, I think. A key cannot be made with just the vin. He'd have to show proof of ownership, as in the title and registration

Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
MZ5

So, to feed your paranoia:
A key cannot be made with just the vin. He'd have to show proof of ownership, as in the title and registration
This translates to "Yes, you can make a key with just the VIN, so long as you're a crooked dealer, have a crooked friend at a dealer, are a crooked locksmith, etc..."

Now, for my real answer:
I don't think it'd be a problem, but I may ignore the request if I thought for some reason they weren't a potentially serious buyer.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I'm shopping for a bike & see one that I am really interested, what will be the most common questions?

It's not like show me the Carfax...

It's likely, have you drop it, is price obo, when can I see bike?

VIN# first? Hmmm....

I'll just ignore the non-serious buyers

Old 01-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
If I'm shopping for a bike & see one that I am really interested, what will be the most common questions?

It's not like show me the Carfax...

It's likely, have you drop it, is price obo, when can I see bike?

VIN# first? Hmmm....

I'll just ignore the non-serious buyers
You'd run the vin to verify its not stolen

Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 PM

tell vin over the phone, not email. On craigslist i have learned to CALL/TEXT ONLY.

I agree with estates response too.

edit: email is to slow and 95% spam

Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 PM

well i just replied to the guy and let him know that if would like to come see the bike, i'd be more than willing to give him the vin then...not over the internet especially as an initial reply

Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

True...asking for a clean title in hand is more prudent approach. Going for the VIN#? seller may be uncomfortable...

That's why I hate selling...

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
You'd run the vin to verify its not stolen

Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM

So I got a reply from another guy after not hearing from him for like to weeks...read this and tell me your thoughts fellas. I'm learning to hate selling too.

I am very interested in the motorcycle but the guy who was gonna buy my jeep fell through. I can still get it soon but I will have to pay you with a cashiers check from USAA since I will have to borrow money on it, which I would be more than happy to get you usaa's number or meet you at a bank so you can certify that its not fake since I know there is alot of scams going on now. Ill have to talk to them to see if this is the only option they have for payment. I do want to take a look at it first though and then go forward from there. I am also not planing on lowballing you I have been approved for 4500 and would pay that for it. If this is ok with you let me know and we will set up a time to meet.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Is it Ok to Disclose Bike VIN to Potential Craigslist Buyer?