General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL--need help decideing

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaso-ma

a little update is in order. after seeing the posts about jaso-ma cert. i decided to do some research to see if my chosen oil was going to work in my f1. i was just going to try it and see, but i modified that plan after all the discussion on this thread. apparently, the key issue in finding out if an oil is likely to be jaso-ma capable, is to look for the term "energy conserving" on the api service label. no energy conserving label, means no friction modifiers, and should work with wet clutches, even if it does not have the jaso-ma cert. on the label. that cert. comes via independent testing, which is not necessarily done to all oils. bottom line, at least for me, is that castrol european formula 0w30 has no friction modifiers, and should work fine in a wet clutch system. i will definitely try it as soon as possible.

Last edited by rayall01; 12-10-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 PM
MZ5

Originally Posted by rayall01
apparently, the key issue in finding out if an oil is likely to be jaso-ma capable, is to look for the term "energy conserving" on the api service label. no energy conserving label, means no friction modifiers...
This is not entirely correct, though it's generally a good practical rule of thumb. "Energy Conserving" indicates that the fluid in question achieves a certain percent better fuel economy in a specific engine sequence test than the reference oil (a polyalphaolefin synthetic) of that viscosity grade. The way this is achieved in the real world is partly via the use of friction modifiers (friction reducers, specifically), but it is also accomplished by using a fluid that is at the thin end of the viscosity grade and, generally speaking, it will also shear down a percentage.

Castrol 0W30 European Formula (aka German Castrol) is a fairly thick 30-grade, and it also doesn't shear hardly at all. These two factors preclude it outperforming the reference oil in the fuel economy test. This does not mean it is devoid of friction modifiers (reducers), though.

Red Line's automotive products are another example of an oil line that is not Energy Conserving certified, but they are _heavily_ friction modified.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:02 PM

well, guess i'm back to square one, and will be the guinea pig to find out for sure if it works.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by rayall01
well, guess i'm back to square one, and will be the guinea pig to find out for sure if it works.
Damn yall people went off lol I'm still thinking 10w40 ams..... But ya....Iv got other issues to attend to.....my bike has come damn noise coming from the engine and Idk what it is but im guessing its gonna cost.like 600 to fix oh well ....