General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil light comes on then bike dies....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil light comes on then bike dies....

I have a 2003 honda cbr600rr, the problem is when I have the bike on its fine but when I drive the oil light comes on and the bike dies. I havent got much done mechanically speaking, only velocity stacks. The bike ran perfect before i decided to do anything to it. For a little background information. I recently painted the bike, so I took all the fairings off, thats when I did the velocity stacks. In between the time I paintd it and put it back together, I did the stacks and an oil change. I forgot to put the plug back in the pan and all that nice honda oil spilt out. Unfortunately the only honda dealership is like 30 plus miles away from me so I decided to run to the Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership only 5 minutes from my house to get some more oil. I cant say for the previous owner but I have done regular oil changes using honda oil 10-40. When I went to the kawi dealership they managed to misplace 10 cases of oil, and the only oil they had left that was 10-40 was yamalube oil, (not my choice of product of the two I could have chosen). Anyway I changed the oil and then put the bike back together and then I went to take it for a ride and only after a miles or so the oil light came on and the bike died. I am truly stumped. I dont know what could have happened. Any and all replies will be appreciated, Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:15 AM

you said all of the oil spit out, did you run the engine without oil in it? or did you notice the oil before you started it?

If you ran the engine without oil, even a very short time, you more than likely spun a main bearing.

The yamaha oil, as long its the motorcycle oil, should be fine for your bike. It won't hurt anything.

also, did the bike die out and then the oil light come on? ..if it did, the light was acting correctly as the engine dies out, the oil pressure drops and the light comes on. If it truly did come on first, then the engine die, you have a problem.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
you said all of the oil spit out, did you run the engine without oil in it? or did you notice the oil before you started it?

If you ran the engine without oil, even a very short time, you more than likely spun a main bearing.

The yamaha oil, as long its the motorcycle oil, should be fine for your bike. It won't hurt anything.

also, did the bike die out and then the oil light come on? ..if it did, the light was acting correctly as the engine dies out, the oil pressure drops and the light comes on. If it truly did come on first, then the engine die, you have a problem.
Yamalube is garbage.