General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil filters

With the riding season coming up for many of us on the forum, you may be thinking about putting in fresh oil. With this comes a new oil filter. What do you guys all use?

I came across this little gem. Motorcycle Oil Filter Cross Reference
Just find your bike than scroll to the bottom to find all the different filters that work on your bike.

No use spending $20 on a honda filter (there are better ones out there for cheaper). I just did my oil change, but next time...

Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would only use the honda ones, but just bought a Scotts SS reusable one. So I'll report back with my findings.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Why only honda? I'm not sure why there is a (mis-?) conception that buying oem is always the best. You change tires from oem, brakes from oem, coolant from oem, chains/sprockets from oem, oil from oem, but why not the filter. There is tons of evidence using high quality car filters are just as good as 'purpose-built' motorsport filters.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, I know a guy who had an ST1300 who used a Honda Accord filter because the ST1300 forums told him they worked just as well, if not better. He comes back in a month and wonders whether the filter could have anything to do with the tiny pieces of particulates floating around in his sight glass.

If you're gonna use a non-Honda filter, at least use a motorcycle filter. The premium Frams and K&Ns work pretty well. It's an extra $5-10 every 3 months or so (depending on how much you ride), that really shouldn't be breaking the bank.

:edit:

You don't have to only use Honda products. I'm one for trying new things and testing the possibility of aftermarket products making things work better, but there are many instances with things like coolant, brakes, levers, chains/sprockets, oil and air filters where an aftermarket or off-application product can make things much much worse.

Last edited by raylee; 03-02-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I used an OEM Oil filter because through all the statistics, debates, forum threads and opinions there was one true constant, that the OEM filter was one of the higher quality filters out there and that it was one of the most consistently built ones as well. I am choosing to switch for a few reasons to the Scotts filter, I want to do more track days and will need to change the oil more frequently (also why I chose super blue and amber brake fluids as well as water wetter), Honda hasn't changed the threads of their oil filters and they dont look to be changing them in the future so this filter can migrate with me from bike to bike. There are many things that seem very well designed by honda and where ever I can I will keep OEM parts. When I take my bike in to get rejetted I plan on getting dyno readings with the OEM, K&N street and the BMC Race air filters so Ill let you know how that aftermarket product works out. I am all for testing where I can afford it but there are few things that I believe coming straight from a companies mouth.

Last edited by CJardine; 03-02-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 PM

+1 for car oil filters.

with the exception of those who work or have experience in some oil filter research lab-like facility, no one can say what's better or worse. Because no one has the tools or knowledge in order to test these filters competitively. cutting open an oil filter can and feeling the material and stuff... doesn't prove anything.

However, I can tell you that i've used FRAM and Supertec on my F4i for years, and when i pulled the cams and head at 35,000 mi, they were spotless. Moreover, no leaks from valves or piston rings. Clutch still OEM. I did my oil change ever 5000 miles with 15w-40 rotella or delo, whatever was on sale. I don't track.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
With the riding season coming up for many of us on the forum, you may be thinking about putting in fresh oil. With this comes a new oil filter. What do you guys all use?
Actually, they say to change the oil before you store it for the winter, not after.

I only use Honda OEM filters on mine. I buy them online for a lot less than through the local dealer.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 PM

i just bought a new honda filter with washer for under $10 from partzilla. They seemed to have changed something about the part though . It said its been replaced with a different one. Shipping was only $1.75 i believe. I think i put about 2000 miles on my bike after changing the oil beginning of july . BUt, i just bought a gallon of amsoil from amsoil for $48 or something close to that shipped. CAnt wait to see the if i notice a difference. Everyone says i will notice it in the shifting.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Why only honda? I'm not sure why there is a (mis-?) conception that buying oem is always the best. You change tires from oem, brakes from oem, coolant from oem, chains/sprockets from oem, oil from oem, but why not the filter. There is tons of evidence using high quality car filters are just as good as 'purpose-built' motorsport filters.
I use oem honda conventional oil, oem honda brake pads [by far the best all around pads], oem honda fork oil, oem air and oil filters. I also change my oil regularly so Im not worried about the oil getting dirty enough that the best filter made is required. Oem oil is cheap and the filter is only like $10 so Im certainly not wasting any money going with the honda stuff. My oem tires were michelins, I still run michelin on the street. Oem chain was an RK which again is still the brand I use. Honda spent alot of money to make sure stuff works, they are smarter then you think.
There is nothing wrong with changing things, but it isen't always nessacary either.