General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil changes

You do your own or take it to the dealer?? Ive had my bike just long enough that its time for the 1st change. I called the dealer to find out price and if they would let me watch them so I could see how they get the filter out....its a pretty tight spot between the pipes. Ofcourse for "insurance purposes they cant have me in the shop. Other than that....$30 for the labor, $70 for the oil and filter. Feedback is appreciated

Old 10-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Oil changes

I do my own. If you do yours, save the stock filter. Using any filter other than honda will void the warranty on the bike.

It's easy to do and cost me around 40 to 50 bucks for the honda oil and filter. So you do the math. You will have to remove the lower fairing and right side fairing to make it easy. You could fight it, but I just make it easy and take em off. My coolant overflow is also in the way, but one bolt drops it out of the way.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can 'maybe' see the $30 for labor, but DAYUM $70 for oil and filter?? Does it at least come with a free LARGE tube of KY warming gel?? Cuz $100 for an oil change on a bike, you're gonna need it![:@] I'm a tech at a Ford dealership and for cars (that take twice as much oil as bikes), and we charge $24 parts AND labor for gas engines, and around $100 for diesel oil changes (15 qts oil and a huge filter + more labor).

Do it yourself.... it's EASY! Plus working on your bike yourself is cool... it's a great way to figure out how everything works and just get to 'know' your machine (like bonding ... only without the sex, unless you a lil freaky just let it cool down a bit first, lol). Just go to any autoparts store and buy a small drain pan (5 or 6 qt... the larger ones won't fit under the bike) and whatever oil filter you choose to use, buy a filter socket that fits it (and a 3/8" ratchet and an extension if you don't already have one). There should be a tutorial or how-to on here somewhere... I think. Seriously though, changing your oil is one of the easiest maintence things you can do on your bike yourself. Wait until you get into valve adjustments... fun fun!

So to answer the original question.... I do everything myself It's much more satisfying doing stuff yourself, plus you're learning all the time.... that's always good, knowledge is invaluable

Old 10-11-2007, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: doncollins

I do my own. If you do yours, save the stock filter. Using any filter other than honda will void the warranty on the bike.

It's easy to do and cost me around 40 to 50 bucks for the honda oil and filter. So you do the math. You will have to remove the lower fairing and right side fairing to make it easy. You could fight it, but I just make it easy and take em off. My coolant overflow is also in the way, but one bolt drops it out of the way.

The guy I bought the bike off said that it takes him awhile but he alsowas able to get it out without removing anything. Thanks for the info

Old 10-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Retired Administrator

Then you leak oil all over everything. I'm kind of a clean/neat freak so I don't mind taking the plastic off. It take all of five minutes.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:17 PM

On a 1000RR is the oil change meant to be done with the bike on theside stand or do you use a wheel stand to get the bike to stand straight up?
No I am not talking wheelie when I say wheel stand.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Plus working on your bike yourself is cool... it's a great way to figure out how everything works and just get to 'know' your machine (like bonding ... only without the sex, unless you a lil freaky just let it cool down a bit first, lol).
I can see you have a "special" relationship with your bike...is that what it takes to keep em running strong after 100K??

I will definatley be doin it myself this weekend.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Retired Administrator

I use stands on my 600RR.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: tomc1965

On a 1000RR is the oil change meant to be done with the bike on theside stand or do you use a wheel stand to get the bike to stand straight up?
No I am not talking wheelie when I say wheel stand.
I just have a rear tire stand (brings the back tire a couple inches off the ground) that what i planned on using when doing the oil change.... is that wrong???

Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Nope that will do fine, will net you a little extra room to get the oil pan under.