General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob...Spark Plug question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob...Spark Plug question...

First off, I am a noob to the forum. I have an F4i (01).

Now, I ran into my first problem. I was getting ready to take the bike in for a full service yesterday. When I went to start the bike, it started... But when I went to go blip the throttle, it acted like it was flooded, then died. No big deal right? Well I then went to try and restart it. No go. And no go from then on. I attempted to start it like it was flooded (stated in the owners manual), and still no go. So a buddy and I took one plug out and saw the following pictures. We think that the plugs are the problem. Its going in Tomarrow still, so the guys are going to get to them anyways. I am just wanting closure that its what the problem is. We think the size of the needle point is abnormal. Neither of us has seen something so small. What do you guys think?

Also, I have another problem. It seems that my rear seat is not able to come up anymore. I took off the front seat to look up under the rear. The wire that the key activates, is out of the holder that unlocks the seat. So when I went to go move the mechanism by hand, it feels broke. I can not get the seat to unlatch at all. I am curious if there is a way to remove the FACTORY undertail to access all the stuff under the rear seat. Otherwise, is there any other way to get the rear seat off to try and fix it?

THanks a lot guys! I appreciate the help.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Default RE: Noob...Spark Plug question...

The size of that is normal. You only see them types of plugs in high performance machines. Such as motorcycle. A plug is probably fouled out. Check them out and see if any are wet.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:57 AM

With precious metal spark plugs like platinum and iridium, that's all you get. The thick center electrode from regular spark plugs is made from a common nickle alloy.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:05 AM

Looks like your running real rich. I also have that problem with my rear seat but i have a aftermarket undertail

Old 09-26-2005, 11:56 AM

Yeah that plug looks pretty fouled... lots of carbon build up. You can pull all of the plugs out, grab some sand paper, and clean off the electrodes, stick em back in the bike and it should run, then you'll know that's your problem. It's not a permanent fix but it'll help out for a little while and it will let you know that it's your problem.