General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob question! Spark plug help - 1989 CBR600F

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question! Spark plug help - 1989 CBR600F

Hey guys, I guess I'll just first say that I'm new to this forum and new to biking in general! I just took my MSF course this week and got my endorsement and I bought a 1989 CBR600F a little over a week ago off of a guy on C/L. He rode it here for me about 1 hour away so I know it works, I turned it on a couple times before I got my endorsement but didn't ride it because I was afraid of doing something stupid.

Well anyways, last night I finally get my endorsement, suit up, and get on my bike. I ride for about a mile and then it starts to power down. I thought maybe it was gas so I filled up the tank and then tried to start it up but it wouldn't work. I finally got it to start and rode it back home. I tried riding it again later and once again, it stopped working about a mile in.

What I've done so far: charged the battery, put in gas, checked oil levels.

Now I think it might be the spark plugs are bad. So I read in my manual to take off the side panels and take them out from there but I can't seem to be able to reach them! Could anybody help me out here and tell me how to get to them easy?

TL;DR my bike won't start up, I think it might be spark plugs but I don't know how to get to them

Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM

im not exactly familiar at all with your year but i have a 95 f3 and the manual says the same thing for me too, but i had to take off the gas tank and air box then move the 2 ignition coils to the side and i had a pretty good area to work with after that. I doubt your problem is the spark plugs though, but it would be a good place to start since you bought the bike recently and its good to know what youre bike is working with if that makes any sense.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Mundo,

And congratulations on getting your license.

Probably best you post in the CBR600F section CBR 600F - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners as the guys in there are best placed to answer your questions.

Good luck with your bike and keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-18-2013, 11:03 AM

Come on people take off side covers, pull spark plug wires off put a elbow joint on the sparkplug socket and a small extension. Slide the ratchet in the side, adjust the square til it lines up with extension. Its a tight fit, 1 click at a time but once its loose u do the rest by hand on the extension.

Unless ur a yeti u should be able to reach. Only takes like 10 minutes

Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sephrin
Come on people take off side covers, pull spark plug wires off put a elbow joint on the sparkplug socket and a small extension. Slide the ratchet in the side, adjust the square til it lines up with extension. Its a tight fit, 1 click at a time but once its loose u do the rest by hand on the extension.

Unless ur a yeti u should be able to reach. Only takes like 10 minutes
The F1 has some PITA spark plugs to get at. I have a bunch of plug sockets + extentions and they were either too long or too short. I got the honda plug tool which is the perfect length and made it much easier.

Back to OP's post - I doubt its the plugs. I'd place my money on the R/R going bad, which is not uncommon. It happened to me, with similar symptoms. Loss of power, bike died, hard starting.

I replaced mine with a cheap generic ebay one, rewired it, and was 100% ever since.