General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark!! Starting 2 dislike this bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark!! Starting 2 dislike this bike!!!

OK so I could really use some help here I've run out of patience and begun throwing things around the yard

Here is the rundown:

2002 cbr600 f4i 28000mi
The bike fell over. I picked the bike up and cranked it. Bike idled fine for like 20min. I shut the bike off. I got on the bike to ride the next day and it won't start!!!

1.I have no spark at all 4 cylinders.

2. Battery voltage is slightly above 13v

3. Ignition pulse Generator is within spec

4. Bike is not throwing any codes other than the air box sensors which are unplugged for access to plugs (does not effect ignition system)

5. I don't have a peak voltage tester adapter but when I plug my meter into the Cam pulse Gen plug and try to crank the bike I don't get a reading over .3v Book says it should be minimum .7v My reading could be inaccurate though not having the proper adapter which I really don't want to go out and buy. (I tested the ignition pulse gen with the same procedure and got a reading of 1.1v which is fine)

6. I traced all wires to sensors, ecm, and coils, and checked for continuity and all seems well i.e. no shorts.

I have the cam pulse Gen UNPLUGGED and the bike still doesn't throw the code for the CPG wtf??

7. I have battery voltage at the coils but it isn't getting the ground signal ( I guess) to fire the plugs

This bike has been nothing but one big electrical problem since I've had it. Last time it fried the ECU and I had to replace it. I'm really hoping this isnt the problem this time.

Last edited by PimpNaintEZ; 02-24-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 PM

I noticed you have not replaced the spark plugs or seen if any fuel is getting to the cylinder, any reason? if the sparks are good and your getting fuel then it could be the bank angle sensor stuck so it thinks its on the ground, shutting the bike off

Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Sorry I should have also mentioned:

The fuel pump primes, injectors spray so this would eliminate anything tied into the fuel system, BAS included. This is strictly an ignition system problem.

Plugs look fine.Also the book says voltage at the coils during cranking should be 100v. when I test mine I get initial battery voltage but when I start cranking the bike it drops to 10 or 11v. Dunno what thats about.

Thank you for the input though. N E more ideas?? I'm really leaning toward the Cam pulse Gen but I don't want to start throwin parts at this thing without eliminating simple stuff. I don't really understand the CPG's purpose. I mean I thought the Ignition pulse gen under the clutch cover kept igintion timing. So what is the cam pulse generator for?? fuel injectors?? I have read through all the old threads and have found ppl with the same problem that they solved by replacing the CPG, so I'm assuming it has to be tied into the ignition system.

Last edited by PimpNaintEZ; 02-24-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

when you try to start..does it even turn??? when voltage drops on car battery it usually means its bad.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM

ahh I forgot to mention.

If I charge the battery to a full charge, I can only crank it for about 15sec then it acts like its dead. If I wait a min or so I can crank it for about another 15sec. Batt seems to go dead unusually fast. The battery is pretty much brand new though. It only has 4 or 5 rides on it. I don't think the battery IS the actual problem I think its just lost its full potential due to me cranking until it goes dead and charging it back up over and over, so I don't want to replace it until I fix the problem at the risk of ruining another $60 batt. These bike are very tempermental.

And Also

Before this all happened the bike would sometimes just die for no reason at stop signs. It would crank right back up though.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by PimpNaintEZ; 02-24-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

you might have a dead cell in the battery and it will cause your battery to be DEAD.

they do sell faulty batteries.

what you need to do is go to autozone, get a new battery and if it does the same thing just retun it. that might be the problem.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM

Thats not the worst idea ever. I'll try that tommorrow. So I'm assuming you think this could cause the whole no spark, me pissed off thing right?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

it is a possibility since youre voltage drops and you can only turn for about 15 sec. fully charged.

also you should use slow charge on the battery. and dont use car to jump start.

i had the same problem. it wouldnt start and i jumped with the car, same thing, no start.

charged the battery and played with the throttle and fired up.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Angry

Hey, so I'm still having no luck with this bike. If I put it on the trickle charger it charges to a max of 12.73v or so says my volt meter. Turning the bike over battery voltage drops to around 10.5v while cranking, but then jumps right back to 12.72v when I stop cranking. This doesn't really seem out of the ordinary b/c I would think it must put a drain on the battery to turn the engine over.

What gets me is that the ECU is not picking up on the fact that I'm unplugging the cam sensor. I mean it doesn't ever throw the FI light code for it. So I unplugged the ingition pulse sensor and cranked the bike and it instantly started throwing the code for it. Still no code showing for the unplugged cam sensor though. whats the deal with that?? I get a good reading 1.1v while cranking from the Ignition Pulse Gen but I can't get a reading higher than 0.4v cranking from the Cam Pulse Sensor.

This makes me think its the CPS is bad but I get a correct resistance from it something like 458. I hate to buy parts just guessing at it but I don't know what else to do at this point.

I really need some more input on this, I REALLY don't think it is the battery, but I haven't had a chance to pick up a new one and try it yet, so I can't eliminate that.

Sometimes fuel injection can be a real pain

Old 02-28-2011, 07:24 PM

hook it to a car battery...just make sure the car isn't running and everything will be fine...if it fires up then there is probably a fried cell in your battery...if not then you didn't use up any gas going to pick up another one and potentially going back to return it

Quick Reply: No spark!! Starting 2 dislike this bike!!!