General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark

Ok so I have done all of the resistance checks on all of the electrical systems. I have a new spark control unit, and the bike still sounds like it isn't getting anything on any of the cylinders. She still has no kick. I can smell the gas coming out the back, but thats it. I also know that the fuel pump is good because it is also new. If anyone knows whats going one please help me out. Thank you for your time.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:33 PM

first you need to determine if you for sure do or do not have spark...remove a spark plug and plug it back into the wire...put the end of the plug to a good grounding point and hit the starter button...if you don't have a spark jumping off the plug then you have another problem if you have a new ignition control unit

Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 PM

If you're getting all that fuel to the cylinders like you say, try and get removed plug away from it's hole as far as possible. If it's getting fire, it's possible to ignite fumes from that cylinder. I did that with my generator and bought burnt it to the ground.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:17 PM

Ok so I checked the spark on the plugs again, and I am getting no spark. So now I am really confused. I know that my spark unit is good my fuses are good, and my rectifiers are good, and i also know how I have good grounds on the harness. So what could cause my bike not to spark ? :S so frustrated been trying to figure this out on my own for a while now .

Old 04-30-2010, 02:42 PM

That depends on what you mean by "spark control unit." Are you referring to the pulse generator tells the coil when to spark, or are you referring to the coil packs themselves? Given that you're speaking singularly, I have to assume you're referring to the pulse generator. This means your next troubleshooting step is to start checking your coil packs and plug wires.

It is weird for BOTH to be dead, however. This leads me to believe you have tested your coil packs but NOT your pulse generator, so if that's the case, do that.

Either way, please clarify.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM

spark control unit = ignition control unit and as for the spark generator that is the one in the case on the right hand side, that you need to remove the side cover for correct ?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by hazmattf3
spark control unit = ignition control unit and as for the spark generator that is the one in the case on the right hand side, that you need to remove the side cover for correct ?

Yes. I have seen those go bad, but rarely. There's a troubleshooting guide on it somewhere in the forum. . .

The coil packs are the two blocks the spark plug wires connect to, you have to remove your airbox to get to them.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM

Have you had any luck yet with the fix. I am going through the same turmoil on my 88 Hurricane. I've checked coils for resistance and power, check bat voltage, replaced pulse generator, checked resistance at spark unit to run switch and pulse generator. Only thing left that I know of for me is spark unit, but if you replaced yours and still have no spark I am hesitant to drop $500 on a new one to find out I still have no spark.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:54 PM

I haven't tried yet but i will give you an update on Monday afternoon. I have it over at the shop, and I am very busy on weekends. In your case I can see it being the Control unit. The fact you have everything else, its either you have a bad connection somewhere in your harness or some how shorted out your control unit.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bike still sounds like it isn't getting anything on any of the cylinders.

i think the battery might need more juices, try to use auto battery but if its works , unplug the charger cable in a seconds..

Quick Reply: no spark