General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no power

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no power

when i turn the key i have no power at all.the lights don't even come on. i heard a click from the back of the bike when i hit the starter but that was it. just had the batt charged like a couple of weeks ago ride it less than a week ago

Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to get a new one. Or you have a vampire somewhere sucking all the juice outta it.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:29 PM

You blew the 30 amp main fuse. pull your seat and the fuse is not the small ones. its bigger like car fuses and is beside the other fuses.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:02 PM

checked the fuse its still good

Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM

time to get the volt meter out then.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Did you check all of your fuses?
If you did then the first thing you want to put that test light or volt meter on is the ignition wires. easiest is the self powered Ohmmeter or test light. On my F3 the main sits alone below the seat on the right hand side. (its green) . Double check with the test light there then head to the (aux) fuse box located at the upper right. Check those. I am not sure which model you have so i am just telling what i would do with mine.If the main is still good and all of the positive is making its correct contacts then head over to the ground and make sure that it is touching down.

Check your starter relay connector for loose fittings.
To check the if the starter relay is functional turn the ignition switch on and press the starter button. It should click once.

If all of that is okay and your battery is good but you still do not have anything (dash lights) anything at all You might be ending up spending a little bit of cash. regulators/rectifiers are not cheap.
May just need a new ignition...

Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 PM

hey dude, i have almost the exact same dilemna... but what happened was i was out and stopped for a bike to eat, when i came back the batt was dead... asked for a boost and all of a sudden no dash lights, no lights no horn ...nothing...

what i would do is check near or around the starter relay which im fairly certain looks like a small heat sink (air cooled metal piece with fins, located on the side near the computer chip) mine is F2 by the way.. what i found was a burnt wire on the connector to it . now there is full batt again, and i have no click or nothing still...

describe the starter relay?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

the starter relay is roundish. underneath the seat. Towards the back just above the shock/coil spring It should have a rubber boot on it with two wires coming out/in. and a starter relay switch connector The starter relay switch connector is green/red and a ground on the f3's.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 AM

In addition to what has been said, check to make sure the terminals did not come loose from the battery. Sometimes they can break off and even though your clamps are tight to the battery, the terminal will break. Also, check to make sure your clamps are tight to the battery.

If all those check out, pull the battery and have it load tested. Its possilbe the battery is just shot. Its possible it has shorted internally. If this happens, it will do just as you described.

But I would definately get a multimeter and start ruling things out. I would lean towards one your fuses, which has already been suggested, but is worth repeating.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Default thanks

thanks for the replies it was the battery. it had 12 volts but when i turned the key it dropped to under 1. starts great now

Quick Reply: no power