General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fuel cap key

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel cap key

As some of you know my CBR is a recovery bike. The condition i bought the bike in was stolen/recovered.

The fuel cap was broken into and was just sitting on the tank minus bolts with the lock in the lock position. I would just pull the whole cap housing off and twist the lid at an angle to get it off for fueling. I have about a quarter of a tank.

It seems as though the cap was just fractions of an inch away from locking into place which is why i was able to pull it off for fuel.

Now, somehow, the cap has been fully attached (minus bolts) and entered into its place LOCKED. The lock mechinism has been destroyed with screwdrivers or something of that nature.
I just checked it on intuition and now it will not detach. I pulled the cap housing apart and broke it off the assembly in hopes of the cap coming off as well. It didnt. I have a new cap/assembly on order on ebay but i am not going to be able to replace it if i can not get this thing off.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No fuel cap key

There are only (from memory) 4 allen key/hex bolts that hold the cap housing onto the tank (in the North-South-East-West set up). The rest are just for show, even if they are damaged you still be able to drill them out to lift the whole thing out of the tank.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:11 PM

For Cbr f3 its three allen bolts in a triangle style. That is the housing which i snapped off. Now its just the Cap sitting in there with vacancy where the sorrounding assembly was. The cap is locked. The two V shaped tapered tabs which initially lock the device in are the barriers. They are beneath the tank.

[>:]

Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Can you slip a flathead in there and push them back? You might need a second set of hands? How big is the gap?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 PM

There is initially no gap or 1/32 if any between the cap and the tank. The cap spins a quarter or so but as we know it is not a threaded situation. I think i am either going to have to obliterate the key entry (which might not even work) or i am going to have to take my grinder to it . lol Grinder attempt is effy due to sparks and gas. I dont think they get along well. I dont want to have to drain the tank.

[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 PM

Dang it! All of a sudden the thing pops off and rolls away then i take a look at it and try to squeeze the tabs closed so it wont happen again and i pop it back on but the next thing i know is that there is some sort of anti-open mechanism in the cap which , when the cap is pressed pops the tabs into the closed position... ( I GUESS THATS WHAT THE PUSH LOCK inscription on the cap means) [X(]

...and here we are back at square one. I think that it is closed right this time too. Hence: no more chance of it popping off unexpectedly again.[>:]

EDIT: Another update: I pryed the thing outta there. The die cast metal that incases the lock mechanism was weak enough to snap without damaging the tank too much. A couple minor bends in the circumference of the cap area. I think not that bad as to deter the new cap from application. I will just have to wait and see. (come on ebay!)

One problem though now. I noticed that when i pryed it out a few of the diecast metal pieces fell into the tank. What should i do about this?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM

I wouldnt worry about them. to disable the locking mechanism for future reference, DRILL THE LOCK OUT. I've had good success with this in the past on keyless gas caps.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM

I wouldnt worry about the pieces that broke off either. If you can see them, then try to get them out, but if you cant see them, they wont really hurt anything. they should be big enough that they wont bypass the petcock screen. they would have to be smaller than a piece of sand to bypass it, as long as no one has removed the screen.

when you get your new cap, make sure it seals good. Having the filler neck bent at all will probably allow fuel to rush past and onto your tank.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Are the pieces that fell in magnetic? If so, put a magnetic pick up tool (autozone) in there and get them. As far as the petcock screen goes, my bike doesn't have one. I need to replace the fuel and petcock screen on Wednesday. FUN FUN!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 AM

I do not think that the pieces are magnetic. I am going to fish around in there with one of those little three fingered claw things.
Is there any chance of damaging the screen?

Quick Reply: No fuel cap key