General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWbie with some serious questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWbie with some serious questions :)

Hey guys, I just recently purchased my first street bike. '03 CBR 600 RR

I know ill probably get reamed with several posts about this not being a "beginners" bike. But hey... it only goes as fast as YOU make it. I have a little bit of experience on two wheels and have so far felt pretty comfortable with this bike. It does at times, however, scare the bejesus out of me... but who doesnt get that kick in the pants every now and then? these machines are nothing short of amazing. Im only 19 years old (as of january 20th :P hahah) but I promise promise promise, to be carefull. safety first.

Now to my questions:

1. The previous owner had decided he needed more torque for, as far as I can guess, better corner exit speed and bottom end "punch"
To achieve his goal, the said owner changed both sprockets, going down one tooth in the front and up two teeth in the rear. How
much difference is this going to make? what would my current gear ratio be? is it still the same?

2. I know messing with the sprockets skrews a bit with the speedometer, and this problem rears its ugly head exponentially as your
speed increases. Is there anyway I can re-calibrate my speedo?? If not... in which way does my "real-time" speed differ from my
"speedo-knows-all" speed? I would think my speedo would show higher than what I am actually doing... right?

thanks for any help guys, hope to get some new pics up after I get some turn signals and some covers for the spots on the engine case/clutch cover that the previous owner scuffed. yeah... he dumped it :P

Cya later,

Chris

Old 01-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Default RE: NEWbie with some serious questions :)

bump^^^^^

if I am completely wrong and the speedo does nothing, feel freee to tell me lol I just want some answers thanks

Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 AM

as for question one. yes lowing you front sprocket and making you back bigger make the bike acceleration will be faster if you can keep the front weel down. You may lose some tope end, If you bike can red line in top gear stock, but some times if the bike could not red line in top gear it would raise the top MPH.

As for question Two. yes it can mess with the speedo but not alway. some bike like mine F2 has a speedo pick up on front tire. so gears would not mess with the speedo. but on a 600RR not sure if it on the crank or the front tire. Most bike that i know of have it on crank. not sure how much it will mess with you speedo if it does. best bet to find out it have some one on a bike or car go 45MPH and see what it on your bike and do the same for some other speeds.

hope that helps

Nipz~

Old 01-24-2005, 02:00 AM

OK..the 600RR has the speedo driven off the transmission, so the gearing you state is going to affect the accuracy in a big way....so if you are reading 70 mph I would guess that it is actually near 55-60, but the best way to check is to find a car or another STOCK bike and compare your speed versus thiers....another thing is speed = mileage....so if you drove for 2 hours at a indicated 70 mph = 140 miles, but in reality you were only doing 55 mph= 110..that is a 30 mile difference in just 2 hours!!!
but why someone would gear a 600rr that way unless they are doing alot of wheelies, is beyond me...I just 225 miles today on one and thought the gearing was a bit low ( meaning it was awfully busy at 80 m.ph. There is NO SPEEDO recalibration available that I am aware of...

Old 01-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two speed calibrations devices on the market that I know of: Yellow box by black robotics is one and the other one you'll have to google to find. Ran across it the other day -- runs $90 with Honda connectors (no splicing).

Here I found it for you. speedo calibrator and yellow box

Now I want great big smiley faces dammit for taking my time to search stuff for newbs on this site[8D]

Old 01-24-2005, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

Two speed calibrations devices on the market that I know of: Yellow box by black robotics is one and the other one you'll have to google to find. Ran across it the other day -- runs $90 with Honda connectors (no splicing).

Here I found it for you. speedo calibrator and yellow box

Now I want great big smiley faces dammit for taking my time to search stuff for newbs on this site[8D]
Thanks bro...now I can look at it for my bike as well.

you dont get any smiley at all [sm=smiley31.gif] j/k

Old 01-24-2005, 10:48 PM

<<<< do you see it? can you really!?!? [sm=burnout.gif]

thanks a lot man, ill be looking into it [:-]

Old 01-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Geeeez ... look what I've turned into ... Oh My Gawd -- I'm a smiley ***** []

Old 01-25-2005, 06:34 PM

in my own experience changing ur sprocets like that will greatly affect ur acceleration and is great for wheeling...probably not so great for a newbie on a 600rr...also the change puts a lot more stress on the chain and will wear quicker due to the smaller diameter front sprocket...as always sirlimpzalot and chainstretcher know what they're talking about...however there is a much easier way to identify ur actual speed without having to drive for 2 hrs to see how far u actually go ...simply travel on an interstate with designated mile markers...reset ur trip right at one mile marker and check where it is when u pass the next...keep checking them...u can get a good idea how far its off by traveling 10miles worth of mile markers...of course the further u travel the more accurate ur guestimation of how far off it would be...if u travel 10miles worth of mile markers and ur trip only reads 7miles then ur speedo is off by 30%...however if u travel 100miles worth of mile markers and ur trip only reads 77miles then you know your speedo is off by 23% so its all about accuracy...i had to do this with a truck i had that someone put larger tires on it

Old 01-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Exactly -- if you decide to get one of the speedo fixers you'll have to know what your error is. Then you flip a couple switches on the box and it corrects your odo and speedo. Easy. Also, if ya have a buddy with a GPS you can make a crude temporary mount and use it to verify speed/distance and then set the correction device.

Quick Reply: NEWbie with some serious questions :)