General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie with clutch question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with clutch question...

Hey there! Workin on an F2 1992, and the problem that im having is that when i pull the clutch lever in, and put it in gear, the bike wants to lurch forward and die, almost as if the clutch is not working at all. It's as if I am pushing it into first gear with the clutch not disengaging.. I've had the cover off, checked and rechecked? any ideas are appreciated... Thanks...

Old 08-09-2006, 04:06 AM
Default RE: newbie with clutch question...

Seems like the clutch is out of adjustment or something. Does it do the same if you were to put it into 2nd gear from N while stopped?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Three things : 1. you may not have enough adjustment for your clutch cable 2. Your oil is either old or you may have (inadvertantly of course!) put ordinary oil in it (which contain detergents and can make your clutch misbehave, as the clutch shares the same oil as the donk and gearbox) 3. Clutch plates are glazed or worn. Glazed plates occur from heat, this can happen for instance if you sit at lights or in traffic alot, keeping it in gear and with clutch pulled, rather than putting it into neutral till the traffic moves or the lights change. It can also occur from slipping the clutch (to chuck that perfect mono) as well.
Change your oil, have a look to see if there is any fibrous type stuff suspended in it, if so your clutch is on the way out. If not, changing the oil may fix the problem. Adjust your cable so that there is about 1/4 inch of freeplay at the clutch lever (recommended settings are 0.4 to 0.8 inch)

Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 AM

OK I HAVE HAD YOUR PROBLEM! this is what you do! it may work it may not but its always worked for me! rev the bike up and pull the clutch in and throw it in first! (while the rpms are still up there) it does seem like the complete wrong thing to do cause thats exactly what i was thinking when the service guy told me to do it. but it works!

Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Thanks guys... Ya, I've got all the those things in check, the cable, oil, etc... it seems as if when you pull the clutch in, nothing happens when the pivot arm moves toward the clutch pack, and the clutch doesnt move when you pull the lever... any ideas.?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM

I had a clutch cable go, the street repair chap from the AA came, fitted a new clutch and NOTHING happened. He thought the clutch had gone....... BUT apparently there is a jointed connected between the cable and the actuating arm for the clutch, this had flipped over so that the new cable wasn't pulling on the lever properly. Could it be the same for you?