CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   new rider question (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/new-rider-question-42280/)

cyber00677 06-18-2007 04:16 AM

new rider question

I dont think this is the right forum for this but i did not know where else to post. I just bought my first bike a 05 CBR 600 F4i. I have yet to take it on the road just parking lots. If i am on the throttle it seams like i am accelerating and if i roll off it jerks me forward like i was hitting the breaks then slows down. my question is how do i stop this jerking and keep a consant speed like i would if i were behind a car? thanks

pacemaker 06-18-2007 06:20 AM

RE: new rider question

Practice, your giving it to much throttle in the low gears (1st &2nd) which means that when you "off" the throttle, (car parks are pretty limiting) the same revs that got you going, are slowing you down, causing the kangaroo hop. its a matter of your mind & wrist synching with the throttle, and how many revs equates to a smooth take off. My suggestion would be to do a riders course, their worth every cent. Good Luck

FNQuickF2 06-18-2007 09:58 AM

The gear ratios in first and second are high and you will feel that reaction(accel/decel) more so in the bike...Get comfortable going up and down your street and up to at least a speed limit around town (35-40). Try to get used to going through the gears...at least up to fourth, then downshifting also to slow the bike...
GOOD LUCK!
RB

fishfryer527 06-18-2007 10:46 AM

My f4i seems like it has a little glitch in the throttle settings. The on/off is a little abrupt, but you are describing 'compression braking', you don't have a lot of experience driving a manual transmission car right? Anyway, throttle control is a skill you will have to acquire to keep your bike in balance around turns and such. Go take the MSF, you will learn on a smaller bike that is much easier to handle.

Just remember the throttle is touchy, but be VERY careful with those brakes. Every scary moment I have ever had on the bike (not counting cagers)involves braking. The front brakes are amazing, the back brake has to be used with such care that some people don't even use it. Good luck and be careful.

cyber00677 06-19-2007 01:55 AM

I took the MSF class. I was out on my street today. After a little it became much smother. At first i dropped it becuase i was trying to get going and it stalled, jerked forward, that caused me to lose my footing for a second and down it went. Just a few scrapes i was not moving.

mccannf3 06-19-2007 02:13 AM

Ouch! May be you should invest in a pair of frame sliders? :DJust to protect the farings

cyber00677 06-19-2007 02:37 PM

whats a good pair to get?

TennesseeCBRF2 06-19-2007 02:54 PM

Here's my advice:
1. Get a good pair of frame sliders. The brand doesn't really matter. Make sure they are made of Delrin or some other type of strong material.
2. ALWAYS remember to use the clutch. If you took the MSF, you should remember that pulling the clutch lever cuts the power from the motor to the rear wheel. If you ever find yourself in trouble, pull the clutch til you sort it out. Note that this should NOT be done during a turn!!!
3. Don't use 1st gear for compression braking. The gear is too short to brake with. If your bike is suddenly lurching forward, you are causing an unsafe instability in your suspension which can lead to a crash. If you're still practicing in parking lots, upshift to 2nd or 3rd and see if that helps with your roll-offs.
4. Learn to use that rear brake. The front brake provides 70% of the stopping power on a bike. That means Honda put that rear brake there for a reason, and a good rider learns how to use it properly.

cyber00677 06-19-2007 03:47 PM

If i were riding around at like 35 mph what gear should i be in? being a new rider how high should i take the revs? does engine breaking work better the higher hear you are in?