General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, just bought my CBR yesterday, need major advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New rider, just bought my CBR yesterday, need major advice.

So yesterday was the day it finally happened, i got the bike of my dreams! Going from a honda ruckus to my cbr was a great improvement. I like my cbr more than my ruckus in every way.

It is a 1995 F3, has 32,xxx miles. Is that a lot for a sports bike? What is the reliability of sportbikes if maintained well. What should be done regularly to it so I ensure it is at it's best?

I bought my bike from some mexican shop, it was a little sketchy but they have been in the business for 25 years. My bike appears to be in very good condition, brand new tires, new battery, it got serviced and oil change. No scratches or anything bent on the frame. Looks like it should.

NOW HERE IS THE PART, he told me that 3 out of the 4 carborators are working. He said it will be 200 to fix the carb. He also said it should be ok to ride untill i get it fixed. I will forsure get it fixed within a month.

It runs really strong, shifts smoooth, brakes good. Everything i could ask for. I hope I am not harming anything by riding it here and there.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

It's not going to hurt it riding it like that. However I'm not sure how it can be running "Strong" on 3 carbs. What exactly is he/they saying is wrong with the carburetor ?

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your new CBR.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 PM

Yay you're so inviting Tess's I'm glad it won't harm it. Let me ask him what exactly needs to be done

Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 PM

I went from a Honda ruckus to a cbr that's why I think it runs strong loss

Old 03-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Funny, I had to Google Honda Ruckus, I didn't even know what it was. OK, I can see how you might think it runs strong. Most of the time, carburetors only need to be cleaned, and sometimes adjusted. $200 for repairing a single carburetor is a little on the steep side, although you have to pull them all to work on just one so it's not so outrageous I guess.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

If they are going to pull the carbs to fix one, they might as well open up all four and clean them out and check/adjust the floats as well. Carb synch should also be included.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 AM

What is a carb synch? And thanks I will tell them to clean and ballance carbs.

So is 32k miles a lot for my bike? It appears to be in good condition. what is the reliability for sport bikes? My moped continuously has littl problems here and there gets very annoying. I am ready for a solid ride. Keep in mind I keep my rides maintananced

Last edited by IDoDirt; 03-27-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Synching the carbs is where you balance them to each other so they open the same when the throttle is opened. It is something they should do if they are going to pull the carbs apart.

It really isn't the mileage, it is the condition of the bike. If the bike is well maintained then mileage isn't really a concern.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 PM

I change the oil often on my bikes. I probably do it more than I need to; but it makes me feel good. Keep your chain properly lubed so that it will last longer. Check the tire pressure often. (I do it once a week). Check your brake pads to make sure you don't wear them down to the point that the rotors will get damaged. I change them way before that would happen. Not hard to change brake pads yourself. Make sure that the nuts and bolts are all tight. Best to use a torque wrench; but many people don't have one of these. Many times it is not essential. I use one now very regularly for things that I used to not use one for. That is because the good people on this forum have made me see the errors of my ways.

If the bike is already in good shape, and you maintain it affectionately, then it should last for years. Good luck with your new bike.

Oh, did I mention that you should wear protective gear all the time. Even if you are just going to the store. Full face helmet, gloves, protective jacket, boots.

Oh, yes, If you are new to riding (I know you had a Ruckus which I think is very cool!) you might want to look into a MSR course. They are very informative and actually quite a lot of fun.

Good Luck,
Erich

Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Registered Users

I bought my 93 F2 w/ 42k miles last year and it runs great! I can't vouch for how well the previous owner(s) maintained it -- I've had a lot of electrical problems along the way and the plastics are junk on a close inspection (tear off). However, the motor and tranny seems to run strong. After a year of riding it, I think it's about time to pull the carb apart and clean and jet it. But, I'm not an expert and these guys can give you way better advice on that. There's a great how-to on this site for that.

I think you'll be happy with it! And it's a great bike to learn how to work on.

Quick Reply: New rider, just bought my CBR yesterday, need major advice.