General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum and having starting issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to the forum and having starting issues...

Hey guys
I've been having a very strange starting issue with my 01 f4i. Every now and then it doesn't want to start. It's usually when it's cold but sometimes even when warm. The bike will turn over maybe once or twice but then there will be this loud knock and after that it won't turn over. The fuel pump will engage and gauges will reset but once I hit starter switch after the knocking noise nothing happens.

If this knocking noise doesn't occur the bike starts up fine. It is just when the knock happens. The bike runs perfect other than that so I would love to get this taken care of.

I have found that moving the wires around leading to the kill switch and starter switch sometimes help but that might just be in my head.
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 AM

Well i'm not sure if this will help cause the f4i is injected but I had a Gsxr 1100 that did that, I would hit the starter and get a loud knock and no start. Took awhile to figure out but it turned out to be a bad needle valve that allowed fuel to overflow from the float bowl while parked and leaning on the sidestand. From there the fuel flooded the cumbustion chamber. When I hit the starter...instant hydrolock.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 AM

Fowareagle has hit the nail on the head, so to speak. It definitely sounds like too much fuel is getting into the cylinder(s) causing a hydraulic lock. Check for any holes in the float bowls which would stop the from rising causing the overfill. Let us know how you get on?

Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Just re-read your post again and was wondering if your engine is fuel injected like mine (02 F1 model)? If so, ingnore my advice about checking float bowls as they would only be on a carburrated model! Doh!!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is fuel injected, but it doesn't rule out the possiblilty of a bad injector.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Hey man ive got an F4i as well. When you hit the starter after the prim does the light flicker off? If so does the bike try and crank over? Ive seen this a couple times and F4i's have a tendency to do this...

The kill switch wears out on them. If your lights turn off when you hit the starter it is definitely your kill switch being worn out

Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Major thing too that wears down the kill switch insanely quick is do not turn ur bike off by the kill switch... Make sure your killing the bike with the key instead

Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Yes my bike is fuel injected. And I haven't paid attention to the lights. I'll be sure to pay attention to that next time I try. If so, just replacing the switch would be the first thing to do? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM

Yes replacing the kill switch is the first thing you want to do... you said "I have found that moving the wires around leading to the kill switch and starter switch sometimes help but that might just be in my head." This may be a direct indication of an issue with kill switch, 12v resister wire in the ignition or a wire in your upper wire harness going out...

Kill switch is easy but im not sure how much itll cost...
The ignition with a 12v resistor wire (Pink wire going to ignition) is an issue I currently have with my 02 F4i. New OEM ignition is in today and will have the part back on the bike tomarrow. DO NOT BUY aftermarket ignitions for the 01-03 F4i as it has the unique wire no other bike has... After market ignitions do not have the resistor to put a steady 7v through it... Just a heads up if thats what turns out to be wrong
I picked up a new OEM ignition for 112$ online with free 3 day express
Lastly is your upper wire harness... If you have a wire going out in this youll need to cross the voltage going through each wire with the manual... Long process but worth it to do it yourself... Mechanic will want an arm or leg due to amount of time it takes... Upper wire harness can be found online for around 35$... Dont let the price fool you though... rewiring a bike is not fun...

Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Halzinky
The kill switch wears out on them. If your lights turn off when you hit the starter it is definitely your kill switch being worn out
Can you be more specific on which light(s) you're referring to ? The Starter Switch is a Double Pole/Single Throw switch. When you press that switch, one set of contacts in the switch Opens and the other set of contacts Close. The circuit that opens is the one that provides power to the Headlights. The circuit that closes is the one that provides power to the Starter Relay Switch.

The headlights turning off when you hit the starter button is normal.

Halzinky is correct in that you should use the key to turn your bike off. The Engine Stop Switch on the right handle bar is for emergency only.

Quick Reply: New to the forum and having starting issues...