General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CBR600F Owner - Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CBR600F Owner - Need some advice.

Hi,

I'm in the UK. I've just bought a 2006 CBR600F with 9k on the clock. I do find the bike great to ride but could I ask some silky questions:

Anyone have a slight whine/howl when cruising around 60 to 70mph in top, is it the air intakes?

Is it usual to have a small transmission noise when in neutral when the bike has warmed up? Previous bikes have had a similar thing. It goes quite when the clutch is pulled in.

Is it usual to notice an increase in vibration through the handle bars around 4 k upwards? Again previous bikes seem to have spots on the revs ranges where vibrations increase. Do non OEM bar end weights help, like R & G?

Thanks

Arthur

Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

This is a tough question to answer without knowing your other experience with motorcycles.

1. Can you characterize the "howl" as a noise generated by:
a. Wind forces?
b. a direct function of speed?
c. anything that can be changed by shifting gears, pulling in the clutch, rolling on or off throttle, brake engagement or disengagement?
d. does it go away beyond a certain speed (you'd mentioned 70 mph - I'm assuming mph even though you Brits can't decide on whether or not you want to use the metric system, LOL)?

2. The noise in neutral - is it a faint clanging or tinkling sound, or does it sound like a general whirring? You're saying it goes away when the clutch is pulled in? This may be the normal panoply of sounds from a motorcycle in neutral - all of them have a whirring sound which you notice disappears after the clutch is taken in.

3. Bar vibrations are normal to a certain extent - unless they're caused by an out-of-round component that is spinning faster as you go faster. Once again, is this vibration tied to engine speed or to bike speed?

Right now, I'm going with "You have a bent wheel or brake disc." I think this is the cause of a bunch of your noise. You may also have damage to the clutch or the trans, if the neutral noise is clanging or tinkling. You said the bike has 9k on it; was the prior owner a squid and was popping the clutch at every light? The wheelie letdowns, if sudden, may damage a wheel and the clutch poppers may damage the tranny or the clutch.

I've given you some things to think about - you need to diagnose the sounds and report them back here so we can give you better ideas.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 AM

Thanks very much for the advice. Since posting I have ridden the bike quite a bit more. I am fairly happy that everything is as it should be. I have no issues with the gear selection etc, just the usual clunk popping into first from neutral, especially when the bike is cold. My dealer is checking the clutch and chain tension today. Shifting up and down is very slick.

Think though I will have to get a double bubble screen as I keep losing the top of the rev counter etc if I change ridding position slightly. Standard screen seems a little low for a 6ft male!

Thanks for your post.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The clutch noise is completely normal. Wind howling? I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. If it's coming from the wind going around the fairings - it's normal. As far as vibrations in the bars, it shouldn't be too much vibration, but you can expect a little bit (that's why we use bar weights after all). Go find a Harley, feel it's handlebars at idle.... are your vibrations comparable? The Harley's should be much worse

Old 03-04-2014, 02:13 PM

Thanks..........I am fairly happy after some longer rides and advice from my dealer that everything is good.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM

HI I had the small transmission noise when in neutral
But got rid of it just put new bearing in Outer Comp,clutch
That number 2 on picture
And the bearing was number was 21
It stop it for a long time but has come back now but it ok

Attached Thumbnails New CBR600F Owner - Need some advice.-honda-cbr900rr-fire-blade-1992-austria-clutch_bigecw0n41e__0600_6b73.jpg