General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike new Problems NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike new Problems NEED HELP

First i got a new bike but i cant get the tank to open took out all the screws but i cant get it out to put a new one in. also i need an exhaust hanger that comes off the back peg to hold the exhaust oh yea its an 01 cbr f4i

Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: New Bike new Problems NEED HELP

i can only assume you are talking about the gas cap and dont have the key to open it? you will either have to get a key made for it or drill out the lock but watch out for metal shavings going into your tank.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM

i am talking about the gas cap but i want to remove it but it wont come loose so i can get a new one in it.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

your gonna have to bust the lock or have a locksmith come to you and make a key . or goto the dealership with your reg and title and drivers licence and you can order one there.

otherwise i dont know of any way to take that out because it is locked into place so either break the lock which will make it useless or pay the money and have it re keyed or make a duplicate key.

so what happened to the ignition and trunk locks? are they still there and you dont havea key or is the gas cap different ?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Ty

Translated:

Hey guys, I recently stole a bike from a forum member and need some help. I don't use the trunk, and I have hotwired the ignition to my liking, but I have ridden it enough that I now require fuel. Could you please tell me how to bypass the tank lock so that I may continue to enjoy this person's bike without delay. By the way, I had to take off the recognizable pipe and now need a hanger for the stock one I put on because apparently they aren't all the same size. I also have a post running where I am asking for any and all F4i parts. I don't really need anything, but was going to use that as a coy way to get a new tank with a key. Sorry to have to be so direct about it now but I really need to gas this thing up. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:36 PM

no the ignition works it has a cheetah tail so the trunk locks not thier but the key wont open the gas tank and the bike has been sittin for a long time and the gas has went bad i get it to start but then it dies. i traded my 93 integra for it but its giving me a head ache. and if u seen the bike u would no its not stolen it looks like it went off a cliff.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM

oh yea its a two brothers exhaust and i have the exhaust springs when the bike went down to broke off the rear foot peg bracket so the after market hanger came off

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM

NO NO NO Ty you have it all wrong...

Apparently he is the Victim. Not the criminal. some kid had a crappy bike he couldn't get rid of and didn't feel like paying for $1500 in parts,and realized it was to ugly and beat up to pick up chicksat the beach on,So he found some unsuspectingkid who doesn't realize and said he would trade his "nice beginner" bike for a perfectly good gas friendy car. so rather than having to buy a car, or pay to fix the motorcycle, He gave it away and now has a decent car for free.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Jeez people![:@][:@][:@] Chill out. Guy seriously just wants some help. Solutions people... not yacking to diss on the guy and/or his bike, with no help what so ever. This isn't off topic, it's General Tech.... Common!

Anyway... +1 to probably having to get a locksmith over there to help you. Chances are the lock is either bad/broken, our your just out of luck. If you can, contact the guy that you got it from and ask him what he did to get that to work? (Also, to save you some headache, because it's not entirely out there to think that there's a possibility this thing could be hot, and trashed bikes can still be hot, check it with your local PD or tag agency, the VIN should help... mainly off the frame) If everything checks out legit, and the guy doesn't have the key, and you don't want to spend the cash to have a guy come out and check it... and the gas in there REALLY has gone bad... then grab you a handy drill and some good bits, and start small, and start drilling out the lock. Ones it's out, you're going to have to pull the gas tank and empty it out/clean it. You'll be getting rid of any metal shavings, AND trying to get rid of any caked on old fuel that's hardened into a resin.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 03-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. The tank key didnt work but it works in the ignition. I got mine out by taking all the screws out turning it clockwise and then pushing down on it and turning it counterclockwise as far as I could and lifted up. It worked! I know no one will believe me. my two friends were there and the couldn't believe it either. I got very lucky. Give it a try it might work for you too.

Quick Reply: New Bike new Problems NEED HELP