General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help here please

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help here please

Sorry for crossposting...Posted in CBR 1000 forum...But nobody responded.

Hello everyone...See CN at bottom if you dont feel like reading..

New guy here...But not new to bikes..looking for some advice/insight. Just bought a 2004 1000rr. It currently has 4200 miles. The first thing is when the bike is in nuetral and the clutch is NOT engaged it sounds a little noisy..Similiar to a throw out bearing noise in a car. Not super loud.. I know nobody can actually hear MY bike...But I am looking for a general idea here.

Second...When I start the bike the turn signals are sometimes lit like a running light...Sometimes only one side or the other is lit. If I happen to use the turnsignal that was not illuminated...Then after I cancel the turn signal...It will then be lit....Make sense?

CN: Noisy when clutch not engaged in nuetral...pull clutch in...Quiet

Front Turn signals appear to be 2 filament..Sometimes only one side is lit(dimly) until using said T/S...Then it will illuminate

If this is in the wrong forum...I am sorry...Mods please move

Also..will 08-10 CBR 1000 mirrors bolt on to a 2004 1000....I realize wiring may be different..But that is easily resolved.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with the clutch noise sounds normal to me.
When the clutch lever is out and you're in neutral, the clutch basket is spinning. It will make noise that goes away when you pull the clutch in.

As far as lights.... it's probably got running lights that go out when you turn the signal on and one isn't working? But I'm not sure on that.
Not 100% on the mirror question, either, but I don't think they bolt right on.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, KG is right. A little noise is perfectly normal.

As for the lights. I think you probably have a bad connection. Its quite possible the guy who sold the bike put the stock stuff back on and just did a quick job of it. I'd pull the side fairing that the blinker is on and make sure the connection is plugged in all the way. You should have two filiments, one for the running light, and one for the blinker. The running light goes out while the blinker activates. again, KG is right on that. the dim light a good indication of a bad ground.. probably at the connector.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noise is normal.

The light sounds like you may have a short or a funky connection. I'd inspect the wiring and either look for something frayed or a shoddy wiring job.